Cite the Zotero application

Hi!
I'd like to the cite the Zotero application in my paper. Is there a publication in which the concept of Zotero has been described in detail? Google Scholar wasn't helpful for this… Best, Julian
  • Zotero is cited for example in:
    Fernandez, P. (2011). Zotero: information management software 2.0. Library Hi Tech News, 28(4), 5–7.
    Pucket, J. (2011). Zotero: A Guide for Librarians, Researchers and
    Educators; Association of College and Research Libraries: Chicago, IL.
    Murimboh, J.D., Hollingdale, C.R. (2012). Zotero: A Reference Manager for Everyone. Journal of Chemical Education 89, 173–174. doi:10.1021/ed1010618
    Fenner, M., Scheliga, K., Bartling, S. (2014). Reference Management, in: Bartling, S., Friesike, S. (Eds.), Opening Science. Springer International Publishing, Cham, pp. 125–137.

But why you do not cite Zotero as Computer program or Webpage?
  • Thanks! I'd like to credit the creators and main contributors of Zotero personally. If I cite Zotero as a computer program their names are not mentioned. I had hoped that they had published a conceptual paper or so, but it doesn't seem so... The papers you proposed are not by them I suppose?
    Best, J
  • I'd cite it as a computer program and cite the RRCHNM as the creator. Given the number of contributors to Zotero code, it'd seem very difficult to give fair credit otherwise. Even Zotero's core code has dozens of contributors, if you include translators you'll probably get close to a hundred, with citation styles you're at multiple hundreds.

If you really do want a paper, there have been pieces written by its original director, Dan Cohen, its current director, Sean Takats, and I believe also by RRCHNM's Sharon Leon, so you can look for those, but I think that'd be an incorrect citation practice if you're actually interested in the software itself and not the particular aspect of it they're dicussing.
  • Great, thank you for the suggestions and the insight. I'm going to do it like you suggested.