"Tag... too long" error won't go away

For one of my entries, Zotero somehow got it into its head to split the abstract up into tags, unbeknownst to me. Silly but harmless... until 1.5b1, when one of the tags triggered a "Tag [beginning of tag] too long" error.

So okay, I found the tag and deleted it... but the error won't go away! Database problem? Super-duper-empty-trash command I don't know about? How do I fix this, preferably without losing the bib entry? Zotero won't sync until it gets over its tag obsession.
  • Ok, having same problem as you, kind of annoying... The problem appers to be that zotero keeps all the tags ever made in its database file, and doesn't remove them just because you delete the object that is using them! They also don't get purged when you do the "Purge ... History" in the Actions meue...

Infact, I have just opened the zetero database in sqlite magager (firefox extension), and the tags file look a righ mess, oh well.
  • edited March 21, 2009
    In 1.5 Beta 2, deleted tags should be purged when you next open the Zotero pane, though if you just removed the tag from an item without deleting it via the tag selector, it may stick around. Delete a tag from the tag selector, close and reopen the Zotero pane, and then try syncing.

We'll make this a bit more automatic in Beta 3.
  • I found some additional tags that were too long when I checked the "Show Automatic" box next to the Filter field when the tags are displayed. I don't exactly understand that, but in the end it all worked.
  • jkd
    edited March 21, 2009
    Same problem. I deleted all the long tags, confirmed they were no longer present after closing and opening Zotero pane, I checked the "Show Automatic" box next to the Filter field when the tags are displayed to make sure I was seeing all the tags, and I still get the same error msg. When I search for the tag that is listed in the error when I try to sync, I can not find it. What's going on?
  • have you tried restarting Firefox?
  • Yes, multiple time. Now here is something interesting. When I manually scroll through every article and look at their tags, the offending tag (Aged Arteriosclerosis/*diagnosis/pathology Carotid Artery Disease) does not appear. When I click Display all tags, I can not find the long tag either. But when I type the entire long tag into the filter, it shows up.
  • jkd: Assuming you're using Beta 2, create a new tag, delete it via right-click from the tag selector (not just from an item), and then close and reopen the Zotero pane.
  • That did it. Thanks.
  • I'm having this problem too. But, I deleted the tag, and now it is in the tag selector as a grayed out item, and won't go away, no matter what I do. I've restarted, etc., many, many times.
  • I am having the same problem in beta 2, I have deleted the item and cannot find it when searching. Still get the tag too long error. Do you have any idea what can be done?
  • http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5435/too-many-letters-in-tag-to-sync/#Item_6
This discussion has been closed.