universality of DOIs

Not sure if this is precisely the right forum, but it seemed like the best fit.

I recently tried to add to zotero a self-published PDF from Figshare, at least in part because it has a DOI and is therefore at least modestly more stable and citable than the blog post from which it originated. Aside from the trivial issue of the translator being broken (reported in a dedicated post in that forum), I discovered that the "document" item type in Zotero does not allow for an associated DOI. When I imported it using embedded metadata it came in as a journal article with DOI intact, but it's not a journal article. Similarly, zotero treats items on bioarXiv, the new biology preprint server, as journal articles, which they're pointedly not (at least not yet). Finally, with regard to Figshare and other forward-thinking platforms for science publishing, there are item types (dataset being the primary one I'm thinking of) that do have a DOI but are not Journal Articles. It's not clear to me how to handle those in Zotero--off the top of my head, I'd go for the most generic Document, but without space for DOI, that item type is severely compromised.

any thoughts out there on how to handle DOI-associated items that are not associated with a Zotero item type that allows DOIs? Or alternatively, to make eevery Zotero item type compatible with DOI (which seems consistent with the whole philosophy of digital scholarship and the Zotero project)?
  • edited April 4, 2016
    There are long-term plans to add DOIs to all types:
    https://github.com/avram/zotero-bits/issues/1
    When I imported it using embedded metadata it came in as a journal article with DOI intact, but it's not a journal article.
    Embedded metadata is pretty course and it doesn't specify the type of resource. We have to guess. Most figshare articles have a citation_title field. On other sites, it is pretty common for this field to be associated with journal articles & so that is the fallback Zotero uses when it sees this field.
    Similarly, zotero treats items on bioarXiv, the new biology preprint server, as journal articles, which they're pointedly not (at least not yet).
    A few points here:
    • That's arguably the best type to use for preprints & the same is done intentionally for arXiv; most styles format submitted but unpublished articles very similarly to published articles
    • The HighWire2 translator types everything to a journal article. I'm not sure if we have good examples for non journal article sources from that server
  • Slight correction to what noksagt says Figshare DOIs:
    these are datacite DOIs, which we're purposefully importing as journalArticles where the item type is dataset since we don't have a dataset item type and journalArticles at least allow us to keep the DOI.
  • @adamsmith: My comments on figshare refer specifically to the embedded metadata translator.
  • yeah, you're right, I was wrong, sorry.