transferred account in MEGA: PDFs as linked attachments not working

Hello,
I transferred my default zotero database to MEGA "C:\Users\ok\MEGA\data_zotero" including all files and folders (locate, storage, styles, translators) zotero.sqlite etc. My PDFs were as "linked attachment" and I was using both standalone+Firefox(+Zotfile) with the same database.

Now that I have an extra desktop, I install MEGA (this time "D:\MEGA\data_zotero") + Zotero (both standalone+Firefox(+Zotfile). When I define my Data Directory Location in my new desktop (Preferences > Advanced > Files and Folders > Data Directory Location "custom") to MEGA\data_zotero, my database is uploaded ok (~8,000 records), but all the linked attachments are not working, even if I define the Base Directory ("D:\MEGA\data_zotero\storage"). Any idea about how to correct this problem? Thanks in advance, max
  • storing your Zotero database in a synced folder (like MEGA or Dropbox) is not supported and, in fact, strongly discouraged as it may lead to database corruption and all types of other issues. We can't help you as long as you're doing that, sorry.

My guess would be that you're somewhat confused about links vs. attachments (ZotFile and the base directory are used for links to files, but the storage folder holds attachments) but hard to say.
  • Hi Adam,
    "storing your Zotero database in a synced folder (like MEGA or Dropbox) is not supported and, in fact, strongly discouraged as it may lead to database corruption and all types of other issues."

> I used to keep my linked PDF folder in MEGA, syncing my Zotero database with Zotero Sync Server (citations only). I stop using Zotero Sync Server as main sync option because it report duplicated items every time I tried to sync (even after I use the "restore to zotero server" three times).

"My guess would be that you're somewhat confused about links vs. attachments (ZotFile and the base directory are used for links to files, but the storage folder holds attachments) but hard to say."

In Zotero > Advanced > Files and Folders one of the setup options says "Linked Attachment Base Directory"....in my opinion, description "linked files attachment" is confusing: are they linked or attached? If I don´n get wrong, I linked the PDF files (to each Zotero citation).

Anyway, I want to correct my mistake: if
    i) I put my Zotero database folder outside MEGA, ii) erase all citations in my Zotero online + upload once again all my citations, and iii) keep my PDFs in MEGA (related to Zotero as linked files using Zotfile), should I correct my error?

Thanks in advance,
    max
  • Anyway, I want to correct my mistake: if
    i) I put my Zotero database folder outside MEGA, ii) erase all citations in my Zotero online + upload once again all my citations, and iii) keep my PDFs in MEGA (related to Zotero as linked files using Zotfile), should I correct my error?
    yes, that sounds right. If you run into any problems with that setup, we can troubleshoot those.

Also, if you keep getting duplicates (or sync conflicts?) when using ZOtero sync, we can check on that; certainly shouldn't happen and may be a sign of something going wrong.
  • edited April 7, 2016
    Heelo Adam,
    I defined my new Base directory D:\MEGA\zotero_storage (all PDFs as linked files) and I defined my new Data directory location D:\zotero
    I tested this config adding new records and it´s working ok, but all previously linked files are not working (Zotero is not finding the linked PDFs). Any idea how to fix this?
    Thanks in advance, max
  • I'd use Zutilo to figure out where ZOtero is looking now and then to batch redirect those links:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zutilo-utility-for-zotero/

probably easier that trying to re-do the whole move.
  • Thanks Adam, your comments resolved my errors :)
    Best,
    max

PD Do you know if any research group have adapted Zotero for more specific citations mode (e, biological sciences: taxonomy)?