"Retrieve Metadata" continues to hang after reinstall indexing tools

Using standalone windows. I've used the retrieve metadata function a lot, and with great success. It just stopped working a week or so ago for me, and even after deleting the 4 files in the data directory associated with the pdftotext and pdfinfo tools, and then reinstalling them from the Zotero settings, I am still unable to retrieve the metadata. It just sits there spinning, but finds nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
  • Can you provide a Report ID after this happens?
  • [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: Zotero.ZotFile.pdfAnnotations is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotfile/content/zotfile.js" line: 115}]
    [JavaScript Error: "1459780246149 Toolkit.Telemetry ERROR TelemetryStorage::loadAbortedSessionPing - error removing ping: PingReadError JS Stack trace: PingReadError@TelemetryStorage.jsm:80:15 < TelemetryStorageImpl.loadPingFile<@TelemetryStorage.jsm:1440:13" {file: "resource://gre/modules/Log.jsm" line: 749}]

Is this what you're after? Hope this is helpful. Thanks!
  • it's possible ZotFile is breaking this. Update to the most recent version (4.0.26) from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zotfile/
    Beyond that, Dan would want the actual error report ID after sending the error, which also gives him basic system and version information on all relevant components and installed add-ons.
  • Updated to 4.0.26, same problem. I simply drag a pdf into zotero, hit retrieve metadata, and it hangs, finding nothing.

Here is the full report: 1857122309

[JavaScript Error: "1459781307617 Toolkit.Telemetry ERROR TelemetryStorage::loadAbortedSessionPing - error removing ping: PingReadError JS Stack trace: PingReadError@TelemetryStorage.jsm:80:15 < TelemetryStorageImpl.loadPingFile<@TelemetryStorage.jsm:1440:13" {file: "resource://gre/modules/Log.jsm" line: 749}]

version => 4.0.29.5, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 4.0.29.5, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (3.5.11.SA.4.0.29.5, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (3.5.4.SA.4.0.29.5, extension), ZotFile (4.2.6, extension), AdobeAAMDetect (1.0.0.0, plugin), Adobe Acrobat (11.0.9.29, plugin), Google Update (1.3.29.5, plugin), Microsoft Office 2016 (16.0.4266.1001, plugin), NPLastPass (3.2.41.0, plugin), Intel® Identity Protection Technology (4.0.5.0, plugin), Intel® Identity Protection Technology (4.0.5.0, plugin), Foxit PhantomPDF Plugin for Mozilla (2.2.5.107, plugin)
  • Here it is again after removing ZotFile, same issue: 1559996972

[JavaScript Error: "1459781568195 Toolkit.Telemetry ERROR TelemetryStorage::loadAbortedSessionPing - error removing ping: PingReadError JS Stack trace: PingReadError@TelemetryStorage.jsm:80:15 < TelemetryStorageImpl.loadPingFile<@TelemetryStorage.jsm:1440:13" {file: "resource://gre/modules/Log.jsm" line: 749}]

version => 4.0.29.5, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 4.0.29.5, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (3.5.11.SA.4.0.29.5, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (3.5.4.SA.4.0.29.5, extension), AdobeAAMDetect (1.0.0.0, plugin), Adobe Acrobat (11.0.9.29, plugin), Google Update (1.3.29.5, plugin), Microsoft Office 2016 (16.0.4266.1001, plugin), NPLastPass (3.2.41.0, plugin), Intel® Identity Protection Technology (4.0.5.0, plugin), Intel® Identity Protection Technology (4.0.5.0, plugin), Foxit PhantomPDF Plugin for Mozilla (2.2.5.107, plugin)
  • Nothing useful in there. Could you provide a debug ID that covers trying to retrieve metadata (ideally for a PDF for which you know this has worked in the past) and letting the spinning wheel run for a minute (while not doing anything else in Zotero)
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • Thanks adamsmith for the tip. Here are three debug IDs:

D1233476323
    D1287918975
    D1444425919

It seems to be saying that no translator was found. I checked and my translators are all up to date. Hope someone can help!
  • I'm new to zotero, and I'm using the firefox version - but I believe I am having the same issue as Andrewgreve with metadata retrieval just haning. In addition it won't add new items by identifier - it just hangs indefinitely. It seems to fix itself if I restart the computer - but as I am using a public library computer it forces me to re-download the program etc everytime, and then will work for a short time and then proceed to hang again. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be much appreciated!
  • (@daca -- not that it's a solution, but surely quitting/force-quitting Firefox should be enough, no?)

@Dan --anything in the above debug?
  • Cached 58 translators in 16 ms
    Reset your translators from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences. Somehow you're missing a whole lot of translators in the 'translators' directory inside your Zotero data directory.
  • Thanks so much! The reset worked and everything works great now. Such a relief to have it resolved quickly. Cheers.
  • @Dan Stillman

Resetting the translators worked for me as well! Thanks so much!!