§ symbol in word citations

I've got a quick question about the default text for location citations. Several of the references I cite use the unicode symbol § (html: "&sect") rather than the abbreviation "sec."

Is there a way to get this symbol to be used, rather than the text, when using the word plug in?

Thanks!

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_sign)
  • that's set in citation styles (which yes, can be edited to use the section sign instead of sec.) but can't varied individually by citation and can't be adjusted in the Word plugin
  • Is this the "point locator"? I'm not sure what I would change/insert to get that change.
  • When you select "Section" in the word processor plugin, that sets the section marker in the form used in the style. As adamsmith says, the form will be consistent across all citations. If you want the style always to use § rather than sec., look for places where the locator label is rendered in short form, roughly like this:
    <label variable="locator" form="short"/>

Change form="short" to form="symbol", and you should get section symbols (and paragraph symbols). To protect the modified style from reverting on update, you'll want to save it with a different name and ID - see the Editing Styles note on the CSL site for details.