Cannot save articles anymore in my library

Hi, recently when trying to save an article on my library I get the message:

This item could not be saved because Zotero Standalone is not open or unreachable. Please open Zotero Standalone and try again.

Why is that? I had to download the standalone version and open it and then it saves it there but still not on my online library which is what I want. And why do I need a standalone version when I did not need one before? Thanks
  • Generally speaking, you should just have Standalone, because import works better with Standalone installed.

I'm assuming you're using Chrome? If so, see this in general
    https://www.zotero.org/blog/a-better-save-to-zotero-button-in-chrome/
    and in particular the last-but-one paragraph.
  • I have updated, upgraded, reloaded, etc., and STILL get that error message ("This item could not be saved because Zotero Standalone is not open or unreachable. Please open Zotero Standalone and try again"). I am about to give up; any advice?
  • (And unlike AdamSmith, NOTHING gets saved, anywhere.)
  • I meant bizio1973
  • Start at the beginning --
    which browser, which Zotero version, what page(s)?
  • Chrome;
    don't know version;
    page: http://www.thewhitereview.org/features/i-cant-stop-thinking-through-what-other-people-are-thinking/
  • Oh sorry: Version: 50.0.2661.102 (64-bit)
  • Sorry again: don't know Zotero version or how to find it.
  • Is this what you need? Zotero Connector 4.0.29.1
  • right, so this is the same issue:
    1. You're trying to save a page that's not supported by Zotero and
    2. You don't have Zotero Standalone installed.

I'd recommend you install Zotero Standalone and this will work ("not supported" means that Zotero only gets very basic info & it can't currently save that straight to the server; it needs Standalone). Without that, you're limited to a smaller subset of pages you can save.
  • I believe I do have it; I have downloaded Zotero for Mac (twice now, actually); I log into zotero.org; I can see my Library and other aspects of my account. What am I missing here?
  • edited June 3, 2016
    Do you have Zotero Standalone running when you're trying to save from Chrome? You'd have to start it like any other app (and it's distinct from the webpage version on zotero.org).
  • So it should create an icon somewhere, like in my finder or on my desktop?
  • installing Zotero Standalone should give you a finder icon, yet -- as a minimum in your applications folder, though.
  • OK, got it. Thank you for your patience.
  • Hi all,

Zotero has been working pretty well for several months and today, suddenly, the items I try to save are not registered. That is to say, the message "Save to My Library" DOES appear at the bottom of my screen, but the item is not visible in Zotero, neither the desktop version, nor the online storage version...

Any guess?
  • Oh yeah, by the way, I already did the usual shut down and restart, trying another item, and ckecking available updates...
  • where are you saving from?
    Does the title of the item show up under "Save to My Library"?
  • I save from the usual website
    http://www.sudoc.abes.fr/ (a catalogue of all French universities libraries)

and indeed the title of the item shows up with the usual stuff under "save to my library". It feels like the process starts but does not reach the end...
  • If the title shows up, the item is saving somewhere.
    If you're using Firefox and Zotero Standalone, see
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/sharing_data_directory

Otherwise, which browser are you using?
  • Sorry what's the difference between Zotero and Zotero Standalone?
  • Because I think I just have Zotero for Firefox...
  • Zotero software comes in two forms:
    A Firefox add-on and Zotero Standalone (which runs like any other software on your computer).

So if you're starting Zotero like a regular program (by click/double-clicking it's file icon), you're using Standalone.
  • Adam thank you very much! It took me a while to decipher the documentation you sent me (English is not my native language) but it worked all right. Now, this could come in useful for other users of Zotero: it was a problem of data sharing between Zotero for Firefox and my Standalone.

1. One must select the most complete version of one's database (in my case Standalone)
    2. then search the way that leads to the storage (Standalone<Tools<Preferences<Advanced<Files and Folders<Show data directory),
    3. and finally copy/paste the data directory to the other version (in my case Zotero for Firefox)
    (Tools<Preferences<Advanced<Files and Folders<Custom)

Then both Zoteros share the same source of folders and know how to synchronise.

Hope it's useful!
  • edited January 20, 2017
    I updated my mac to macOSSierra and can no longer save any edited files that I open through Zotero standalone. It prompts me to save a copy instead. How can I fix this?
  • See https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/262845/#Comment_262845 for an explanation and brief instructions on how to fix and more detailed instructions further down that thread.