changes to library folder to not take in Word doc

Hi,

I make the citation changes in the zotero library folder for my doc, but when I refresh both the library and the Word doc with the Zotero Word add-on, the changes do not show up in the bibliography.

Any solutions?

Thanks!
  • I'm confused -- why are you starting a new thread?
    This is the same issue as https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/57457/compatibility-between-citations-and-bibliography/#Item_4 right?
  • Refreshing changes in bibliography do not update.

I must be stupid - this is driving me crazy - I have changed the citations (about 60) in the zotero library folder to their correct form. Then I refreshed zotero. Then I went to my word doc and refreshed there but the 60 citation updates do no change to their corrected form - they stay the same.

Out of desperation I tried changing them manually, but that is extremely tedious and they are wrong and do not update to the corrected form.

What am I doing wrong?

I found this old forum but it has not helped:
    I searched the forums but couldn't quite find a discussion on this problem. I have a handful of journal references that include special formatting in their title (e.g. italics and subscripts). I used the "edit bibliography" button to select individual bibliography entries, select text within their titles, and add the necessary formatting. However, now those entries cannot be updated from the Zotero database by clicking the "Zotero refresh" button. I discovered this when I tried to update my bibliography with abbreviated journal names by filling in the "Journal Abbr" field in the database. Only the edited entries did not update with the new journal abbreviations. Removing the formatting from the bibliography does not restore refresh functionality. I only have a handful of references that are not refreshing, so I can just update them manually, but this is a bug that should be fixed at some point.

I am using a custom CSL style, but I don't see how that could affect this.

Zotero 1.0.10
    Word plugin 1.0b3
    Word 2007
    Windows Vista Business SP1
    o Dan Stillman
    o Aug 26th 2009

This is more or less by design. Once you edit something, it's just a string of text as far as Zotero is concerned, and it can't refresh it without overwriting your edits.

If you've only cited the entry in one or two places, you can remove the citations, refresh, and then add them back.

If you don't want any custom edits at all, just delete and regenerate the bibliography.
  • As I said in your original thread, the first step of figuring this out is checking if things look correctly in a new document. Could you please try that with the refreshed references and report back.
  • Dear Adam Smith,

I tried this on a new shorter document and everything worked ok:

Capitalized a book title and refreshed the Zotero bibliography folder. Changed a second entry to add page numbers. Both worked fine in new shorter doc when I refreshed and also updated work bibliography.

When I did the same in my long book Word doc, the changes did NOT take effect. Any thoeries?

Thanks for any help.
  • There are two reasons references will not refresh:
    1. You have edited the reference manually in the document and selected not to update them

2. The references are referring to old data, no longer connected to a Zotero entry but embedded in the document.

I'd likely be able to tell you which if you press alt+F9 in Word to show field codes (alt+FN+F9 on Mac) and then copy the field code for a) a reference that doesn't update and b) the same reference inserted into a fresh document.
  • Hello Adam;
    I have exactely the same problem as Tim.
    I want to hand in my dissertation on Monday.
    Yesterday erverything was fine. My changes in Zotero showed in the bibliography when I changed the citation.
    Now it doesn't any more.
    It does in a new document.
    your two points up here don't help me because they only tell what could be the cause but not how to change it.
    I would be grateful for help.