Error downloading

Zotero doesn't access files I have stored.
  • I've just reinstalled Zotero for Firefox. When the error first happened I didn't know why. Now I find it is happening as soon as it starts up and then constantly, and disabling antivirus doesn't help. I have a second report number: 1887020854.

I could add the web page to safe pages but don't know where it's getting the sync from.

I added Zotero to Firefox by dragging the link as it suggested, but note that the URL on the page is chrome://zotero/content/tab.xul - is that what it should be?
    Marty
  • An error occurred during a connection to api.zotero.org:443.

SSL received a record with an incorrect Message Authentication Code.

Error code: <a id="errorCode" title="SSL_ERROR_BAD_MAC_READ">SSL_ERROR_BAD_MAC_READ</a>
    Did you restart Firefox since disabling your security software? Because this message points to a problem with security software on your system interfering with Zotero's network connection (or, less likely, an incorrect system clock).

Can you temporarily disable auto-sync in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences, close Firefox, make sure any security software is totally disabled, and then provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces an error?
  • Debug ID D1223059485.
  • That shows an interrupted connection after many successful requests. See File Sync Errors — there's only a problem here if Zotero isn't making progress each time, which doesn't seem to be the case here. A future version of Zotero will be better at retrying intermittent failures like this.
  • Actually, I'm not sure if there are successful requests — it looks like it already is retrying a bunch of times. When you hover over the blue bar, do you see it making progress each time?
  • No, definitely at least some successful requests in there.
  • Hi Dan
    Well, it's syncing around 800 files, and stops after every 2 or 3. So you could say there are successful requests but it's a very slow process!
  • OK — security software or a misbehaving proxy are probably the most likely causes here, then. You shouldn't get that SSL_ERROR_BAD_MAC_READ error under normal conditions. Could also just be a slow/glitchy network causing connections to be interrupted, though you'd likely notice that in other ways.
  • Hi
    I couldn't fix it so uninstalled Zotero Firefox and reinstalled standalone and the donwnload worked OK.