Debug ID D1457138396

Hello,

First, it is not often that we request tech support; however, when we do our issue has always been resolved by Dan and others. Thank you so much.

I am looking for ideas on what might be preventing one of our Zotero libraries from syncing to an internal WebDAV server. This WebDAV server is running on a Windows Server 2008 (virtual environment) and IIS.

We have four separate Zotero libraries stored on this fileserver managed by separate Zotero user acounts. For one Zotero library, Zotero (standalone) client refuses to sync with the WebDAV server.

The error icon next to the green sync icon has the following message:

WebDAV verification failed. Verify your file sync settings in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences.

The 'Verify Server' button in Preferences --> Sync tab has the following message.

http://mapzotwsp01.bsci.bossci.com/globaltoxicology/zotero/ is not a valid WebDAV URL.

For the other three Zotero libraries, the url
http://mapzotwsp01.domain.com/zoterolibraryname works fine (no sync error).

I have checked the settings in IIS on the WebDAV server and unable to find anything unusual about the globaltoxicology virtual directory (configuration setting is the same as the other VDs).

Will resetting file sync history like fix the sync problem described?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Al
  • (3)(+0000006): HTTP OPTIONS for http://****:****@mapzotwsp01.bsci.bossci.com/globaltoxicology/zotero/

(3)(+0000000): Allow: OPTIONS, TRACE, GET, HEAD, POST
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5
    Public: OPTIONS, TRACE, GET, HEAD, POST
    Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 18:41:51 GMT
    Content-Length: 0

(3)(+0000000):

(3)(+0000000): ===>200<=== (number)

(3)(+0000003): WebDAV verification failed</blockquote>
    It's just what the error message says — the server isn't responding to an OPTIONS request for that path with the "DAV" header, which is what indicates WebDAV is supported. I'm afraid that's all I can tell you. Resetting file sync history definitely won't help — this isn't an issue on Zotero's end.
  • edited March 23, 2016
    Hi Adam (I mean Dan),

Thank you for responding. I have googled the error and your explanation; however, I am coming up empty on possible solutions.

I have tried creating a new folder named globaltoxicology2 on the WebDAV server, configured permissions of the new folder, and copied the zotero folder from globaltoxicology to globaltoxicology2; however, the same error message appears.

I also created a new folder named test on the WebDAV server and configured permissions of the new folder but did not copy any data from globaltoxicology folder. Zotero created a folder called 'zotero'(test/zotero) and will sync to it.

Based on the above, there is something unique about the content of webDAV folder called 'globaltoxicology/zotero' that prevents access.

Any suggestion for a workaround?

Perhaps creating a new WebDAV folder and perform the sync reset option titled 'Restore to Zotero Server - Erase all server data and overwrite with local Zotero data'. I don't like this option, but I have run out of other solutions.

Any input will greatly appreciated.
  • (contrary to what appears to be popular believe, Dan and me are not, in fact, the same person. That's a good thing, too. I'm not sure when Dan/adam would sleep...)
  • edited March 23, 2016
    Oops! Sorry for the mix up.

I am at a loss. I have spent days researching various IIS configuration options to change but have come up empty.

I could use a direction (anything) because I am totally stumped.

The issue did start after I had installed KeeFox AddOn in Firefox (not Zotero standalone), but removed the addon pretty quickly. I am doubtful this could be the root cause of our sync issue to a specific (globaltoxicology) WebDAV folder though.

Al
  • edited March 23, 2016
    Sorry, we can't provide support for WebDAV servers. Zotero works with properly configured WebDAV servers, and otherwise there's Zotero File Storage.
  • Absolutely don't use Restore to Zotero Server, though — that doesn't have anything to do with WebDAV syncing and shouldn't be used. If you need to force Zotero to reupload files (e.g., to a new WebDAV directory), you can use Reset File Sync History.