sorting by creator/author

Some items are not sorted alphabetically by creator (author) as they should. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that they have been added last to the list??
Any hint? Thanks!
  • Where are we talking? Bibliography, online, in Zotero itself?
  • Thanks for asking. We are talking both Zotero online and desktop version (sync is working fine!).
    And obviously these sorting issues are also reflected on my Wordpress page, where you might want to observe it: http://www.procienaga.org/cgsm-bibliografia/
    I revised the missplaced references regarding the authors, thinking I accidently may have named them differently (contributor or alike), but this is not the case.
    I cannot find the mistake...Thanks for your help!
  • ...maybe you need to know: I am using Zotero desktop version 4.0.28 under Ubuntu 14.04.3
  • Can you give an example?
  • Hi Dan, please have a look at http://www.procienaga.org/cgsm-bibliografia/
    ...both Blanco et at and LLanes.. are not where they should be..
  • and is it always those same two items that are out of place? If so, could you export them to Zotero RDF, open the file with a text editor (notepad, TextEdit), copy all, and paste to gist.github.com --> create secret gist and link to it from here.
  • wow, that sounds complicated...
    I cannot say if its ALWAYS these two, haven`t tried.
    I can follow your advise until gist.gisthub.com, but I have no idea about this secret gist...well, I shall give it a try asap.
    But it s up to see what happnes later when I add more rferences, because the list is under development and changing...
    Thanks for the hint anyhow! Seems you guys have heard about this issue for the firt time, which is curious...
  • It's very likely some quirk with your data, which is why I want to take a look. "Create secret gist" is a button at the bottom of the page I link to. This isn't complicated. You're just sharing your exported Zotero data for the relevant items.
  • edited March 8, 2016
    You have those authors entered incorrectly. You have them entered, comma-separated, in single-field mode — i.e., "Blanco, J. A." as a full name instead of "Blanco" as the last name — which is causing it to sort by the wrong elements (J in this case, though I'll have to look into why that's happening). Toggle the single/double field button in the creator row, make sure the parts are in the right field, and sync.
  • SzCol: as Dan says, if you change the names to two-field mode, the sort order will straighten out.

Dan: The specifics of the sort SzCol was seeing on single-field items (keying on the first word after a comma?) seems to be a processor bug - I've just reproduced it outside of Zotero. Looking into it.
  • Actually, I take that back. The processor would have sorted on the single-field name for those, so the problem must lie elsewhere.