Webdav syncing issues (#128501816)

I've set up my own Webdav server and have been happily syncing files with it across multiple machines for a few months now. However, starting a few days ago, file syncing has stopped.

I've started logging, and this looks to be the relevant part:

(3)(+0000000): WebDAV file sync is not active

(3)(+0000000): Getting WebDAV password

##Obviously, changing info here:
(3)(+0000002): HTTP OPTIONS for https://NAME:********@IPADDRESS/webdav/robert/zotero/

(3)(+0000002): ZFS credentials are already cached

(3)(+0031101): Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 03:32:16 GMT
Server: Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu)
Content-Length: 0
Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Type: text/html


(3)(+0000000): ===>200<=== (number)

(3)(+0000006): WebDAV verification failed

Although Zotero is not able to login to my server, I can reach it just fine via a browser. Everything appears to be working normally.

Any suggestions for how to solve this?
  • I also reported the error; Error report number is 128501816
  • Can you restart Zotero and provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a Verify Server attempt that fails?
  • Done: D1899569379
  • Actually, scratch that — looks like the issue is just that your server isn't returning a DAV header, which indicates WebDAV support, for the OPTIONS request. Most likely something changed on your server to break WebDAV support for that path. Note that accessing from a web browser isn't instructive — that's just a regular GET request, not a WebDAV request.
  • And various other requests are just being cancelled by the server:

    (1)(+0000225): HTTP GET https://****@****/webdav/robert/zotero/lastsync.txt failed: Unexpected status code 0

    Check your WebDAV server logs.
  • This is what I see in the logs:

    IP - USER [08/Mar/2016:16:03:30 -0700] "PROPFIND /webdav HTTP/1.1" 207 1211 "-" "gvfs/1.20.3"
    IP - USER [08/Mar/2016:16:06:30 -0700] "OPTIONS /webdav/robert/zotero/ HTTP/1.1" 200 1883 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686 on x86_64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Zotero/4.0.28"
    IP - USER [08/Mar/2016:16:06:31 -0700] "PROPFIND /webdav/robert/zotero/ HTTP/1.1" 405 648 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686 on x86_64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Zotero/4.0.28"

    (obviously, I'm obfuscating some of the details)
  • Yup, looks like WebDAV is enabled on /webdav but not on /webdav/robert/zotero. (405 is Method Not Allowed.)

    You'll have to take it from here. This is an issue with your server configuration.
  • Ok, looking through this thread


    I at least feel less alone in the struggle. Based on that thread, I decided to add this to my default-ssl.conf file:

    DirectoryIndex disabled

    Things *seem* to be working. Will let it update for a bit.

    I'm guessing I received an Apache update in my OS (Xubuntu) that broke something... somewhere.

    For future reference for others, key terms I searched included Apache2, 2.4.7, webdav, propfind, 405, and borked.
Sign In or Register to comment.