ACM Digital Library

I use Zotero on a Mac with the Safari extension. I use the ACM digital library extensively, however, the connector never works with the ACM Digital Library on Safari. Other sites work, and the ACM DL works fine on Chrome.

Zotero Version: 4.0.28.8
Connector Version: 4.0.28-1

Safari 9.0.3
OSX 10.11.3

I did a little debugging and it appears to fail here:

function scrape(doc) {
var abs = ZU.xpath(doc, '//div/div[@style="display:inline"]')[0];

// Get genric URL, preferring the conference version.
var url = ZU.xpath(doc, '//meta[@name="citation_conference"]\
/following-sibling::meta[@name="citation_abstract_html_url"]/@content')[0]
|| ZU.xpath(doc, '//meta[@name="citation_abstract_html_url"]/@content')[0];
url = url.textContent;

}

The XPath expressions always return undefined. I put a breakpoint right before the xpath expression and the following always returns undefined:

document.getElementsByTagName('meta')

I'm thinking the problem is with the HTML on the ACM's homepage -- the question is what would be an acceptable fix?

I think to improve user experience, the translators should work by sending the HTML to a backend server and do the processing there. That way we would get consistent translator performance across all browsers.

Thoughts?

Best,
JLS
  • Update: I believe the problem has to do with addthis -- setting some earlier breakpoints I can clearly see the meta tags in a XPATH query --- however, AFTER I see this error, is when the translator runs into trouble.
  • edited March 2, 2016
    it's certainly possible and a problem that we've seen in the past that the translator is catching some ad or social media frame instead of the actual page, yes. If we're able to identify that, we can blacklist it -- I don't have Safari, so I can't be of much help.
  • How can I help? Happy to do whatever. The exact error is:

Blocked a frame with origin "http://s7.addthis.com" from accessing a frame with origin "http://dl.acm.org". Protocols, domains, and ports must match.
    (anonymous function)inject.js:221
  • Any update on this issue? It seems like there was a discussion on blocking addthis.com to make the translator happy.

ACM Digital Library is a pretty important resource, so I'd love to see this addressed (and I'm sure many silent others would too).
  • I'm wondering if you ever got a fix for this problem. Safari is my preferred browser too and ACM DL collection doesn't work for me either.
  • Same problem, also would love to see a fix.
  • I'm not sure what key part changed, but saving from the ACM DL is now working for me with this combination:

Zotero 4.0.29.11
    Zotero Connector 4.0.28
    Safari 10.0
    MacOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • Confirming this - works for me as well now. Excellent news!
  • thanks for the update. Glad to hear -- I wish we could take credit for this, but this is due to either a Safari or an ACM upate.