Searching within pdfs

It would be amazingly useful if Zotero would come with a pdf-search facility. This is very useful when you're looking for an article which you remember by content rather than name/author/context.

e.g. If I want to find an article that used one particular experiment to determine some property, and I want to duplicate the same experiment... Usually the index terms in the article will not mention the experiment itself, but a search of pdf content would enable me to pull up the article.

This would probably involve indexing the pdfs in a google-desktop-like way...
  • edited March 20, 2007
    pdftotext (a cross-platform PDF converter) integration is already on the development branch and will be in Beta 4, though without any GUI integration. We'll be posting instructions on how to get it working.

It won't, of course, work with image-only PDFs, but JSTOR (and probably other sites) are already experimenting with embedding hidden text layers in their PDFs.

(I know we're a bit later than we've promised on Beta 4, but we made some large-scale changes at the last minute and are finishing up some internal testing. Hope to have it out very, very soon.)
  • Cant wait... Zotero's my newest addiction