keyboard shortcut for "Save to Zotero" (same effect as clicking the address bar icon)

I usually have the navigation bar disabled to maximize screen space, but that leaves me unable to save the item I'm looking at to Zotero. It would make sense to have a keyboard shortcut for this anyway, since there are shortcuts for "new item", "new note", etc.
  • I very much agree with BioTeX (and others): “Create New Item From Current Page”
    should have it's own shortcut key, or - at least - an entry in the right click menu in FF.

Regards
    Kenneth
  • Please, these it´s a must!
    A shortcut for “Create New Item From Current Page” !!!
  • edited May 31, 2009
    Good idea.
    I try to refrain from using the mouse due to the ensuing carpal tunnel syndrome.
    A keyboard shortcut would help greatly.
  • There is an old ticket for this.
  • And keyboard-junkies who can't wait can use vimperator:
    http://thorstenvitt.de/content/zotero-and-vimperator
  • I see that the old ticket in this thread is closed and see a number of other threads in which this feature enhancement (e.g. a keyboard shortcut for the Save to Zotero icon) is discussed. But I can't tell if it has actually been addressed. Has this been resolved?

Here's the reason I ask: I recently requested an accessibility report for this software from GMU's ATI. The report suggested that there is no keyboard accessible way to use this feature out-of-the-box. They tested using a Windows system running Zotero standalone with the browser extension installed in Firefox 27. Is there a keyboard shortcut they didn't discover? Alternatively, does it work better with the Zotero for Firefox set up or with some other browser?
  • The ticket was closed as a duplicate. It's still open at
    https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/178
    and not yet solved natively, though several add-ons (most easily the Zutilo add-on) solve this. It's going to be tougher to solve for the connectors, so keyboard solutions will principally work in Firefox with the Firefox add-on.
  • edited July 7, 2014
    Actually, sorry this isn't quite right.
    There is a keyboard shortcut for "Save to Zotero" (i.e. URL bar icon). It's ctrl+shift+s (cmd+shift+s on mac). It's relatively new, so may have arrived after the accessibility report. What hasn't been implemented yet is the shortcut for creating a webpage item.
  • Thanks for the update on this, I'll draw ATI's attention to this keyboard shortcut!
  • I'm new to Zotero and using a screen reader. Is there a condensed version of how to use Zotero most effectively with a screen reader--i.e., using only the keyboard?
  • no, sorry, there isn't. But you will definitely want to install the Zutilo add-on, which greatly increases the number of operations available from the keyboard:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/zutilo-utility-for-zotero/
  • Thanks. I've got Zutilo installed, and I've been experimenting with Control-Shift-S and Control-Shit-N, but I can't seem to save anything or see new info in the fields. Sorry if this is a post that would be more appropriate to the Zutilo forum? Zotero is being taught in one of my college courses. I need a "Getting Started" guide as concise as the one that sighted people have available to them. Smile.
  • edited September 3, 2014
    This is on Windows and you're using Firefox?
    I don't think anyone of the regulars here has enough experience with assistive technologies to write such a guide, though if anyone--say from an office of assistive technologies or the like--would be interested to do so, we'd be more than happy to advise.
    Generally, try going to
    http://www.worldcat.org/title/wealth-of-nations-books-i-iii/oclc/8424650&referer=brief_results
    in Firefox, wait until the page is fully loaded, then press ctrl+shift+s .
    an item (Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations) should import into Zotero.
  • Okay. That time it worked. I'm not sure what I did wrong earlier when I tried that key combination. Thanks for the link!
  • edited September 3, 2014
    that particular keyboard shortcut will only work on supported pages. They are indicated by an icon on the right of the URL-bar, which I'd fear a screenreader wouldn't be able to interpret (though, again, what do I know).

For those pages not supported you'd have to add a shortcut via Zutilo. I don't think Zutilo's preferences are accessible via keyboard (and I'm not sure you can assign keyboard shortcuts via mouse) so this may require for someone to help you once for set up. Sorry!
    It is my understanding that improved keyboard handling--not least for accessibility--is very much on the agenda.
  • Okay. Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that not all pages would be supported with that keystroke. I think I'm trying to work with an unsupported page. Great to hear about the awareness of keyboard access interest. Thanks so much for your help!
  • actually you may be able to get this to work on windows:
    While looking at a webpage, press the "menu" key (that's the key normally two to the right of the space bar between the right alt and ctrl keys.)
    That will open a context menu that you can navigate with arrows. It has "Zotero" at the bottom--once you're there, press the right arrow and it will open a sub-menu, one of the options there is "Create Web Page Item from Current Page"--use that.
  • edited April 18, 2018
    @adamsmith

> try going to http://www.worldcat.org/title/wealth-of-nations-books-i-iii/oclc/8424650&referer=brief_results in Firefox, wait until the page is fully loaded, then press ctrl+shift+s an item (Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations) should import into Zotero.

Worked like a charm! Thanks, Adam!