no meta info in html output for the notes

The HTML output for the notes doesn't contain any meta information.

That cause e.g. problems with using umlauts and showing them in firefox.

There should minimaly be this in the head of the html output

<meta charset="utf-8">
  • how are you viewing the notes? They're not intended to be viewed as standalone html pages, but either in Zotero itself, or in reports, or on the Zotero website. Best I can tell, all of these already specify utf-8. What's your use case?

And for reasons like this, please just do leave the bug report tag in the thread title away -- it's misleading (as in this case -- this may be a feature request or simply a misunderstanding/disagreement. It definitely isn't a bug) and also non-standard. Again, if you run your own FOSS project, you can implement the policies you like, but please follow standard Zotero community practices here and don't invent your own.
  • I try to "export" the notes. Doing this with reports doesn't fit my needs. So I just view the HTML-code with the html-button in the note window and copy and paste it to a blank file and store it as html-file. Thats it.

Is this html-code stored in a STRING field in the database? Or is it stored in a different format?
  • yeah, that's definitely not intended to be used that way, and I don't think we'd change it for that purpose (considering downsides like the fact that we don't actually want the added meta field in most other instances where notes are meant to be used).
    I believe they're plain strings in the db, but I don't actually know for sure, Dan would have to say.

You can obviously get them out using a direct sqlite query if you're comfortable with that and then just add whatever meta header you need automatically. Alternatively, an export translator that just exports notes as html with any desired header would be quick to write, too.