[reopened] [BugReport] Toolbar buttons on the right dissapear when Zotero's width is to small.

You could see in two screenshots (if you would offer a bug-track system with file upload) that the rigth buttons ("sync") in the toolbar dissapear when the width of zotero/firefox window is to small.

(closed) https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/912
  • You can upload an image to a free file-sharing site and provide a link here and we'll take a look, but what you describe doesn't sound like a bug. If the window is too narrow (e.g., when the left edge of (Sync) this the right edge of "Locate"), there's nowhere else for the buttons to go, so they get cut off. Firefox itself only avoids it by using an overflow menu.
  • Zotero toolbar doesn't offer the "overflow menu" other applications (e.g. firefox) does.

Using a foreign service (free file-sharing site) cost to much time, resources and clicks for such a simple task and is unsecure. And the files are deleted after some periode of time. A ticket like a bug-report need to be documented.
    Lets try the other perspecitve: I don't understand why you don't use the GitHub issue system. It is not perfect. But when you use GitHub as a source repository you should use the complete platform. And you didn't deactivate the GitHub-issues in your Zotero project - what I wouuld call inconcruent.
  • The bug tracker is not useful because Zotero is too small to have a triage team and many, many things that people think are bugs aren't bugs and thus better solved on a forum, where more people contribute.
    The github issue tracker is used by developers to track confirmed issues.

Beyond that, please don't come to other people's software projects and lecture them on how to run them. It's uncalled for. The current system works well for Zotero, which is an immensely successful project with a very good reputation for support. You can run your own open source project any way you prefer.
  • You should put this no-issue-tracker very clear here
    <https://www.zotero.org/getinvolved/>;

Just write "don't use GitHub!" ;)

It is unusual so you have to be direct and clear with that.
    And you should describe your project team and infrastructure on a prominent place. Because Zotero doesn't look like "small". It looks like a well funded big team project. ;)

So back to the important things:
    I described the bug and showed some picutres to you. Is it a bug or not? Would you open a ticket for that which I can monitor?
  • I don't know why you've decided just now that you suddenly dislike our support policies when you've been getting help through these forums for the last 3.5 years, but please drop it. The policy is linked from GitHub itself. You're not confused, and no one else is either.

Anyway, as for this issue, it looks like you just have the right-hand pane expanded way more than usual. The toolbar buttons are anchored to the right side of the right-hand pane, so if you make the right-hand pane very wide, then those buttons will get cut off if the window isn't wide enough. Shrink the right-hand pane and the problem will probably go away.
  • > you suddenly dislike our support policies

"dislike" is just your interpretation. Keep in mind that you see no face and hear no sound from me. It is a often problem using textual communication.
    I don't disklike. I just wonder about and criticize the support/tracker infrastructure.

> The policy is linked from GitHub itself.

But it is not clear. The first sentence there start with explaining why you don't use GitHub. Just say "Don't use GitHub" and explain after. The problem of understanding is in the details.
    e.g. I am from the FOSS community and expecting the from other projects well known usual infrastructure. I see the GitHub account - nice. And of course I use the tracker there because it is usual. That is all.

The Forum isn't very nice, too. I am not able to cite. No attachment uploading. And (very important!) there even is not "BugReport" or "FeauterRequest" catagorie. "Troubleshooting" is not bug-reporting. Reporting a Bug or asking for help/support is the small difference you self described. And I understand that because of that you try to bring everything to the forum to make the triage (between support and bug) here and not in the tracker. But I can not see how this would save workingtime for your team.

To the issue:

> you just have the right-hand pane expanded way more than usual.

No I am not sure if I understand that with my (bad) english correct. What is the right-hand pane? This? http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160224/xxe2zaag.png

The pink one or the blue one?

btw: I mean the green one is the space with a fixed with.
  • (Not goint to defend the forum software -- we've been promised an update for quite a while now -- but if you want to cite you can use <blockquote> html tags for quotes and <code> html tags for code in HTML mode. )

And for your question -- what you have framed in pink is the right-hand pane.