Harvard style for British journals

Hi folks, This comment is more for the developers: "Harvard" style in Zotero is the American version; there are multiple Harvard styles, and it would be very helpful to be able to choose the British version which omits the "p. " in in-text citation. So it would look like this: (Tully, 1999, 171). And then in the bibliography: Tully, J. (1999) "The agonic freedom of citizens', Economy and Society [italicized] 28(2): 161-182. This is widely used in social science journals in the UK. I suppose it's possible this style has another name I'm not aware of that you do support; if this is the case please let me know ASAP so I can start using it immediately!
  • Take a look at the styles page. There are five additional Harvard variants, most likely one of them will fit your needs.
  • Thank you for the link -- it didn't know there were so many other styles to download!!! (As an academic, it always baffles me that we've come up with so many stupid ways to complicate our lives -- why can't we have just a *little bit* of standardization?) However, none of those Harvard styles fits. One is close. Thoughts?
  • edited February 18, 2009
    Hi einspaja

I have an (almost) similar problem. In Denmark (Aarhus) we use the Harvard method that you describe, only the citation should be with a colon: (Tully, 1999: 171). The "Harvard reference format 7" comes close, but has a "S." after the colon. Did you find a solution to yours, and did you by any chance stumble upon a Harvard style that would suit me?
  • simple things like semi-colons, colons, with or without p. pp. or S. can be quite easily modified by hand. See e.g. here for a general description - don't be intimidated by the code, it's actually very transparent and simple.
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5104/modifying-word-plugin-using-journal-abbreviation-instead-of-publication-name/#Item_2
  • edited February 21, 2009
    Thanks adam.smith,

I found the "S." and deleted it in the line:
    <text variable="locator" prefix="S. "/>

still it appears when having multiple citations? And there seems to be a space to much between the colon and the pagenumber?

Also I need to change the biliography, so that the journal title is in italic (and without the brackets and the "In:", but I found those myself ;-)). Do you know the line?
  • For the codon space, change
    <group delimiter=": ">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="author-short"/>
    <text macro="year-date"/>
    </group>
    <group>
    <text variable="locator" prefix="S.&#160;"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    into<group delimiter=":">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="author-short"/>
    <text macro="year-date"/>
    </group>
    <text variable="locator"/>
    </group>

For the title, add "font-style="italic"" to the second appearance of the title text variable in the title-macro (currently only book titles are italicized), which is located between the else-tags:
    <macro name="title">
    <choose>
    <if type="book">
    <text variable="title" font-style="italic"/>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text variable="title" prefix="&#8222;" suffix="&#8220;"/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </macro>
  • Great! Thanks a lot
  • Is there a way to seperate more authors with a "&" instead of the comma? Like this (Henriksen & Riemer, 2007: 4) instead of: (Henriksen, Riemer, 2007: 4). I found the line:

<macro name="author-short">
    <names variable="author" delimiter="; ">
    <name form="short" delimiter=", " initialize-with=". " delimiter-precedes-last="always" />
    <substitute>

but it's not enough to replace the comma with a &...?
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/csl_syntax_summary#authors
    "and - set to either symbol to use & or text to use the word “and” to combine authors."
    and look at the example given.

You can also look into existing styles on how to get specific formatting.