Chicago Manual of Style citations - footnotes appear before punctuation marks

I am using the Chicago Manual citation style, and the footnotes are appearing before comma and period punctuation marks. Is there any way to change this pattern, in order that the footnotes appear in the text following commas and periods?
  • The footnotes appear wherever you insert the zotero citation. Their position relative to punctuation cannot be automated, no. That does mean you have to change it when switching from an author date style
  • Thank you very much for your response. My problem is that I am submitting a paper to a journal with a different citation style than I am used to. As such, I have changed my document from in-text citations (American Sociological Association style) to footnotes (Chicago). When I do so, all of the footnotes appear before the punctuation marks. I am hoping there is a way to change this preference?
  • Right, I understand that, but the answer is no, unfortunately. I think a smart word search and replace might work, though
  • Oh that's a good suggestion, I'll try that. Thank you!
  • When using Word for Windows the issue can be solved by using macros correcting the placement of punctuation signs and spaces before and after the reference after switching from inline citations such as numbered citations or author-date citations to footnotes/endnotes or vice versa.
    https://github.com/ailintom/Cleanup-after-style-change-in-Zotero-for-Word