Export Everything to Linked HTMLpage with linked PDF to burn a CD

Hello everyone,
I hope my Discussion Topic is not too complicated but just in case let me explain what I am looking for.

Most of us write their work where they have to hand in later on their paper/thesis/whatever and most often nowadays it is required that you hand in a digital copy of your work as well.
In some cases then they go a step further and even ask for a CD with all the papers you used as pdfs.

Would it be possible to generate a folder with an HTML page (or maybe even the timeline) where all papers are exported too and each paper is then linked in this htmlpage? This static htmlpage could be than easily be burned onto a CD.
Otherwise one has to work it's way to each Zotero-Sub-folder and to rename and link all those papers by hand.

Would be great if this would be an option!
Thanks a lot
Georg
  • yesyesyes, this would be great. Often, I have a numer of references that I would like to share with a colleague, it would be perfect to have some "pack'n'go" function to generate an overview file (plain text, RTF, HTML) that everybody can read with links to the attached files, and in addition some bibtex or other reference software file for easy import of the references by the colleague.
    I could imagine some small export dialogue with options like
    * 'overview format' = txt, html or pdf
    * 'include files' = pdfs, weblinks, notes, ... or all (multiple selections)
    * 'library format' = zotero, bibtex, ris ... or all (multiple selections)
    * 'output format' = folder, disk image with folders, .zip, .rar, ...

What do you think?
  • Actually, you can right now. Try exporting your library (or collection) using the "Zotero RDF" format, and check the "Export Files" button in the "Translator Options" field.

It nests all the files (e.g. PDFs) in folders that have "index key names", where each "index key" corresponds to a separate entry in Zotero. And the attached files are all there (and the PDFs have their original names).
  • Am I correct in assuming that this RDF file can be read only by Zotero?

Most of the PCs at my university are controlled by the IT department (makes sense) but they have not installed Firefox. Even if it was installed I'd have to get them to allow Zotero to be installed in addition.

Thanks
  • Am I correct in assuming that this RDF file can be read only by Zotero?
    It is most useful in Zotero, but many applications can read rdf+xml, include current versions of IE. (Some older versions of IE struggled a bit with it & many IT departments do use legacy versions.) Even in a supported version, you'll see the tree of information & would have to copy/paste the file links. Not friendly, but usable in a pinch.

Perhaps there should eventually be XML style information to make the .rdf a little bit more approachable to browsers.

Assuming most of your links are for journals that your university has access to, you can use the sync beta & the 'my library' function of the Zotero site & follow links to the pages you had made the snapshots/attachments from in the first place.
    Most of the PCs at my university are controlled by the IT department (makes sense) but they have not installed Firefox.
    You might be able to use Portable Firefox (either from a USB stick or from within your user profile).
    Even if it was installed I'd have to get them to allow Zotero to be installed in addition.
    Many times, you'll be able to install the extension yourself.

Both of these depend on the exact restrictions your IT department imposes, of course.
  • Hi, any help getting the rdf exported file to turn into a html file would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to share my library including the pdf files with other people. The best solution I've been able to come up with is to share a library through the zotero sever and use the export function to keep a repository of pdfs available for my collaborators. Any help with (a) making rdf more readable or (b) a better sharing solution would be greatly appreciated.
  • Wouldn't reports (http://www.zotero.org/support/reports) solve your problem?
  • I agree with Yekwah -- a converter from Zotero RDF to HTML would be very useful.

The "reports" feature mentioned by Rintze looks promising but is unsatisfactory: it does not include any attached files (e.g., PDF documents).
  • I was searching for something like this and could not find it. Anyway here is a quick awk one liner that "solved" the problem for me. I inserts a link for each pdf in the Zotero report. Ugly, I know, but for me it sufices, for the moment. You have to copy all the PDFs into the same folder as the report for it to work.

awk '/\.pdf/{s=$0; i=match($0,/<[^>]*>/); l=RLENGTH; r1=substr($0,i,l); s=substr($0,i+l); i=match(s,/<[^>]*>/); l=RLENGTH; pdf=substr(s,1,i-1); r2=substr(s,i); print r1 "<a href=\"" pdf "\">" pdf "</a>" r2}!/\.pdf/{print}'
  • Thank you for sharing this awsome awk script fartaria. This saved my day!
  • For anyone who stumbles across this thread later on with the same requirement:

I had the same problem and built a small tool to create an index that fulfills my needs. As fellow students liked it as well, I cleaned it up and put it into a small webpage so everyone can use it.

Have a look at http://zoteroindexer.3bbing.de and tell me what you think about it. Hope you like it!

The resulting index can be saved (ctrl+s) or simply printed, e.g. to a pdf and then be added to your CD.