Possible bug in destination collection when saving items

This is a minor bug, if it is a bug, but I thought it was worth documenting. By design, as I understand it, Zotero saves web translator items into the collection selected in the collection pane, or into no collection if "My Library" is selected. This works fine (for me, with zotero 4.0.28.10 in Firefox 43.0.4 on Windows 8.1) if zotero is open (either in windowshade mode or as a tab) in the same window as the item being saved.

However, if zotero is open in a different firefox window (either as a tab or windowshade) from the item being saved, the collection selection is ignored. (Why do I run it this way? Dual monitors. Actually, even with one monitor, I prefer to be able to Alt-Tab between zotero and the pages I'm saving.) This isn't particularly a problem, especially since it seems to default to saving to no collection. (For all I know, it may have always been this way and I've never noticed--I tend to save to My Library and then sort into collections afterward.)

The problem I have noticed recently is that if zotero is open as I have described (in a separate window from the item to be saved, either in tab or windowshade mode), and a new (sub-)collection is created, all documents will be saved into the newly created collection. The only way to correct this is to open zotero (either tab or windowshade) in the same window as the item to be saved (it will open to the collection currently being saved to), and select a different collection there. That zotero instance can be closed or not and the location selected will persist.

What happens if the tab containing the item to be saved is dragged into the window containing the open zotero instance? Well, apparently, the page has to be reloaded for the translators to see it again. Once you do that, it will save to whatever location is selected. So, what happens if you load the same page in two windows and save the item? It will save to the collection that was last selected in a zotero instance in that window, regardless of what has been selected in the other window, and regardless of whether an instance is currently open.

TLDR:

So, to put my interpretation on this, it appears that the collection-to-save-to pointer is different for each firefox window, and is generally only updated by a zotero instance open in that window. The exception appears to be that when a new collection is created in a zotero instance anywhere, that the collection-to-save-to pointer is updated globally. There may be another explanation that could come to light with further testing, and I have no idea how standalone fits into this.

As I said at the outset, this is not a huge deal. Personally, I would prefer the collection-to-save-to pointer to always be global. If that is not practical or desirable for whatever reason (maybe people like have multiple zoteros open saving to different locations), then my second choice, if practical, would be to make the pointer change upon collection creation local only. I can't imagine anyone would consider both behaviors desirable. At any rate, I may be able to work around this by installing standalone; I just haven't tried that yet.