import without keywords

I am using Zotero in Firefox. When I click the import symbol the current publication is imported into the currently open Zotero-folder.

But all keywords are imported, too.

Can I switch the keyword import off?
  • there is an option to disable keyboard import in the general tab of the preferences. For the most part, that should work, yes. (I think it may not detect some tags/keywords as automatic, but should do for most).
  • Sorry, for asking! So easy to find.
  • I imported a "pubmed_result.txt" file (export format of PubMed: "SendTo" -> "File" -> "Format: MEDLINE").

All keywords are added/imported as tags. So it looks like that the option you described doesn't work in that case.
  • correct. Works for web import, not for import from file. We have no way of telling which tags are automatic or not in import formats.
  • edited April 19, 2016
    Mhm... I am not aware of "Tags" in RIS or one of the other (sometimes far away from standard) formats of the databases (WoS, NCBI, ...).

A "keyword" or a "MeSH term" is not a tag.

Can you explain which part of a import file is interpreted as a tag by Zotero?
  • Zotero treats keywords and MeSH term as tags on import. Many people find that useful. Since Zotero doesn't know "keyword" or "controlled descriptive vocabulary", tag is what we do.
  • I find that usefull in the most cases, too. But I deactivated that behaviour in the settings. But it only works for the import I do with the ZoteroAddOn. It doesn't work for external (e.g. RIS) files I import into Zotero.

I don't see a reason why Zotero handle that different.
  • Hi, I am reviving this for a similar question that I hope you can help me with.

I am trying to use the Chrome Zotero Connector without Zotero Standalone because my workplace has many restrictions on what is installed on the desktop. I realise that this results in some limitations on the functionality, but I willing to live with them for the moment at least.

I would like to disable the automatic import of tags, but I can't find the option in the online library or in the extension options.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

• @julianlt: Sorry, that's only an option via the Zotero program, but we're planning to add additional save options to the Zotero Connector in a future version, likely including automatic tags.

In the meantime, if you're using the actual Zotero client elsewhere — which I'd strongly recommend — you can purge all automatic tags from the tag selector menu on that computer after saving from this one.
  • OK thanks Dan. Appreciate the rapid response.