Not finding attached files

I am having a recurring problem, which I cannot seem to find a fix for: Zotero for Firefox (both on my Mac and on my PC) can't find my attachments, telling me they've likely been moved. However, if I copy-paste the name of a missing PDF into the search bar on my computer, it'll find the file in my Zotero folders. What can be the cause of this?
  • edited January 18, 2016
    Ps. I am also getting an error code 443718672
  • could you paste the filepath of a file that you find via your computer's search here?
  • Along with that, a Debug ID for an attempt to open the file from Zotero would be helpful.
  • Debug ID is D1979109660. What do you exactly mean by filepath?
  • By filepath do you mean something like: /Users/Caobao/Desktop/Gamle Firefox-data/rpenmotb-1.default/zotero/storage/ITT5DFXD ???
    filepaths is where the file is on your OS, something like /user/caobao/files/pdfs on a Mac etc.

edit, so yes, that exactly. And the debug above is for trying to download that same file from Firefox?
  • The debug is from trying to open that very attached file in Zotero for Firefox.
  • great, that's what I meant, thanks. @Dan - can you take a look?
    Attachment file '/Users/Caobao/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/jxaqn0dw.default-1444071623591/zotero/storage/BUTZ9EI6/sdarticle-1.pdf' not found
    OK, so it looks like your Firefox profile was reset. (What you're finding in the search, on your Desktop, isn't your active data directory.) You may have then synced Zotero down data from the server, but some or all of you files weren't synced back down (or were never synced up from before the reset). (You can compare the number of folders within 'storage' in your Zotero data directory to the 'storage' directory on your desktop.)

You'll likely want to move your old Zotero data back into your current data directory. Instructions here: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/restore_after_firefox_reset