Word 2016 for Mac

Hi and thanks in advance for your time (and eternal patience!)

I'm having trouble getting Zotero set up for Word 2016 on the Mac. I've read through other posts and troubleshooting guides, but still can't get it to work. I'm creating a separate discussion *specifically* for Mac because the others appear to mix Mac and Windows. Hopefully this way the relevant information will be easier to find for other Mac users. If there's already a discussion for Mac, please feel free to move this to there.

I have Word 2016, Zotero 4.0.26.3, and use Chrome - and hence a standalone plug in. The plug in seems to save citation data fine.

The problem is that I can't find the insert citation option on the toolbar in word. If I go to Zotero --> Preferences --> Cite --> Word Processors, it says 'The Microsoft Word add-in is currently installed.' I just don't know how to get from here to making it work.

Thanks again, and let me know if further information or clarification is needed :)
  • update Zotero. You should be using version 4.0.28.8. If automatic update fails, simply reinstalling will do the same (and leave your data in place).
    IIRC, support for MacWord 2016 was added somewhere in the 4.0.27 release.
    (and as a rule of thumb, when in doubt start a new thread, so this is great).
  • I am having the exact same issue.
  • If you're having the exact same issue, then my answer above applies. If you're using up-to-date software, it's not the exact same issue and we'd want to know which combination of versions specifically and what troubleshooting you've performed.