Complicated encyclopedia citation -- best document type?

The online Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy is quite insistent that references to articles include:
The name of the author
The title of the article
The fact that the article is in the encyclopedia, referenced by:
Name of the editor
Title of the encyclopedia
Date retrieved
URL

I can't find a document type that includes all of that, and the only way I can think of to deal with it is to manually insert the reference into the bibliography, which is horrid. Is there a better way?
  • It looks like the "Book Section" type contains everything you need. It would be up to the citation style to make use of it all.
  • The Chicago styles (using book section, as Frank said) would work, e.g.
  • I can't see how, using Book Section, I could separate the author of the article from the editor of the encyclopedia. An example of the sort of think I need is:

WILLIAMS, BERNARD (1998). Berlin, Isaiah . In E. Craig (Ed.), Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy. London: Routledge. Retrieved February 06, 2009, from http://www.rep.routledge.com/article/DD009SECT3

I realise that the details will depend on the citation style, but I can't imagine any of them will be able to separate the WILLIAMS, BERNARD from the E. Craig and not give me "Williams, Bernard and Craig, E (ed)".

I suppose I could reference the encyclopedia separately, put "Craig (2009)" in the book title of the enrty reference, and hope that I don't get any other 2009 books from Craig! That would give me:

Williams, Bernard (1998). Berlin, Isaiah. In Craig (2009). Retrieved February 06, 2009, from http://www.rep.routledge.com/article/DD009SECT3

and

Craig, E (Ed.) (2009). Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy. London: Routledge.

There isn't any way of inserting a citation in a reference, is there?
  • Williams is the author, and Craig the editor; no problem at all.
  • Well, it *is* a problem -- if I just make Williams the author and Craig the editor then I get "Williams, Bernard and Craig, E (ed)" which is wrong. Presumably you mean put them both in the field(s) immediately following the title?
  • @digitig: I don't know how that's the case (it doesn't really make any sense). What style are you using?
  • digitig - step by step:
    1. type in Bernard Williams in the author field
    2. press the plus sign next to the author field (this appears to be the step you missed?)
    3. type E(dward?) Craig in the newly created field.
    4. press on the little arrow next to author in front of Edward Craig and select Editor (or maybe you missed this step?)
    5. Put Isaiah Berlin in the title field
    6. Put Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy in the book title field
    7. Add URL, date accessed, Publisher, Location.

Cite as book section.
  • Thanks, Adam. I take it that it's up to the citation style to identify that the editor is the editor of the book, not the editor of the article?
  • How about if I want:

Berlin, Isaiah (1958). Two Concepts of Liberty. In Warburton, Nigel (1999), Arguments for Freedom, London, Routledge.

Note that this time Warburton is *not* the editor; he's the author, but has included readings within the book.
  • an editor of an article doesn't really exist for Zotero afaik.

the second citation wouldn't be easily possible, Zotero doesn't have a way to elegantly deal with different dates.
    Are you sure, though, this would be the way to cite this?
    a) it's very uncommon to just write the original date of an article, even if it's published in a later volume. I've never seen something that differs very much from "1999[1958]" which would be the solution I'd propose here.
    As for editor vs. author: If there is a text by Berlin in a book by Warburton, the latter is, for citation purposes, the editor.

I would add that I wouldn't recommend (from an academic point of view) to cite Berlin's most famous essay from what is basically a secondary source - wouldn't it be possible to use a copy from one of his collections (Liberty; or Four Essays on Liberty)