Skype 4.0 Firefox Extension breaks Zotero interface

Skype 4.0 for FF causes Zotero 1.0.9 icons to disappear from the status bar, as well as the Icon in the Customise Menu of the Navigation bar.

Thankfully, library is safe and can be recovered after removing Skype extension. The extension is still installed.

Removing the Skype 4.0 extension for Firefox , fixed my problem, but not before backing up, changing profiles and checking various extensions to see where the problem lay.

Just thought I'd provide a heads up to any people who face the same problem.
  • Thanks nashix - just the solution I needed, right at this moment. The Skype extension I removed from Firefox was 2.0..., but I had recently installed Skype 4.0.
  • edited February 10, 2009
    We've now had a number of reports of this, so I've added a note to the Known Issues page, but Zotero 1.0.9 seems to work fine for me in Firefox 3.0.6 with the Skype extension version 2.2.0.102 from Skype 4.0.0.206.
  • Hey nashix and Dan, thanks for the info and for posting it at the Known Issues page! I was getting mad with not being able to open zotero here!!! ;)
  • WinXP/SP3
    FF 3.0.11 using a whole bunch of addons (ScribeFire, Delicious, Gspace, Gmailmanager, Greasemonkey, Tea Timer, Xmarks, GTDinbox, among others)

Skype updated yesterday to 4.0.something. Zotero 1.0.11 (I think) worked fine until system restart. After that, nothing until Skype addon disabled. Problem continued with Zotero 2.0b5, which now works fine. Problem reported to Skype (fwiw).

Thanks for the help!