importing other formats than RIS

I have been using Bookends (the cheaper version of EndNote for Mac only) for a couple of years, but would like to switch to Zotero. I can't figure out how to get my bibliographies out of Bookends and into Zotero, however. Bookends does not export RIS (as EndNote does-- as is recommended for import into Zotero). Is there any other way to import references to Zotero? Bookends will also export xml, tab-delimited text, or a particular bibliographic style (e.g. Chicago).

thanks
  • bess, Bookends can export your data as Endnote tagged text which Zotero can import. I'm no Bookends expert, but I can successfully export records from Bookends 9.0.8 via following steps:

1. Choose menu entry "Biblio > Formats Manager..." and mark the checkbox next to "EndNote Export (Refer)"
    2. Choose menu entry "Biblio > Bibliography Formatter"
    3. In the upcoming dialog, select the "EndNote Export (Refer)" style, output as "Plain Text (ASCII)" and send to "Disk", then click the "Make Bib" button
    4. Locate the saved file and import into Zotero

HTH, Matthias
  • Is there a similar way for those of us who use Procite (v5.0.3)?
    Thanks.
    --mehmet
  • Per comparison of reference management software on Wikipedia, ProCite can export RIS (which Zotero can import)
  • Thanks Noksagt!

Although my result (due to incompatible mapping between Procite and Zotero --via RIS) was far from what I would desire to produce, it worked.

For people who are interested in this issue here are the details of how to do:
    1. download the style file "RIS-Endnote.pos" from Procite ftp://support.isiresearchsoft.com/procite/styles/win/RIS-EndNote.pos
    2. Go to: File > Print Bibliography
    3. Show > All Records in List
    4. Save (in "Text Only" format) with .ris extension

Good luck!

--mehmet
  • One (perhaps obvious) additional step between steps 3 and 4.
    3.5. Choose Output Style "RIS-EndNote" from the location where you downloaded the file RIS-EndNote.pos.

--mehmet