Customize Citation Style - suppress "n.d." in some situations

fbennett, back on May 24th 2010, you assisted me with a customization to Chicago Manual of Style (Full Note with Bibliography). The situation was to suppress "n.d." in a "document" type in a situation where the date field was blank. At the time, I was finalizing my doctoral dissertation. For reference I copied the relevant parts of our 2010 discussion below (Sorry. I don't know how to paste as quote.)

===================================
fbennett May 24th 2010

Okay, we'll try some rough surgery first.

Go here: http://gist.github.com/411693

then download the style, using the "Raw" link on the top right.
Install by dragging the downloaded file into an open Firefox Window.

This will eliminate the "n.d." behavior completely. If you need it for other entries, let us know and we'll work out a more targeted approach.

Please report back.
bobanello May 29th 2010

Thank you very much for the modified style! I tested it this morning and it works wonderfully.

I finally have time to revise my dissertation into a book and need to put the same modification into the current Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition (full note). I attempted to determine where the change was, but could not find it and did not have the original style CSL with which to make a file compare with the modified CSL.

I am wondering if you might be able to supply me with the same change for the current style version?

Thank you in advance for any consideration you may give to this request.
Bob Anello
  • best I can tell, the style that Frank customized for you just removed no date entirely. That's easy to do: just find and delete
    <else>
    <text term="no date" form="short"/>
    </else>

Doing this just for document items is a bit more complicated (particular for the document item type, which isn't a very good item type to use in the first place).
  • Thank you very much, adamsmith, for your advice on how to modify that style! I tested it this afternoon and it works wonderfully.
    Fr. Bob Anello