Working on a shared Word document

I am working on a paper with citations created in Word. My colleague and I are passing the document back and forth and making edits. We are not trying to make simultaneous updates. But she passes me a version, I edit and return to her.

She has generated the first version of the document with links to her Zotero library. She has selected to store the references in the document.

How can I make edits to the references -- inserting new references, updating/editing the metadata for references originally from her library, and deleting or moving references?

I thought there was a way to "generate a library from the current document" option but I can't seem to find it.

The last time I tried this it became a huge problem right at the deadline -- references disappearing, problems with not being able to generate the reference list, etc. -- so I want to avoid that in this case.

What is the best practice for such work using the current version of Zotero?

Thank you.
  • How can I make edits to the references --
    inserting new references,
    you can just insert from your library. Just make sure that if an item is already cited in the document, you select it from below "Cited Items", not from "My Library"
    updating/editing the metadata for references originally from her library,
    you can't
    and deleting or moving references?
    just like you always would by using delete and cut&paste respectively.
    I thought there was a way to "generate a library from the current document" option but I can't seem to find it.
    no, that's generally planned but has never existed.
    What is the best practice for such work using the current version of Zotero?
    using groups, i.e. adding all items to a group all authors belong to and then inserting them into the document from that group.
  • OK, thank you. Just what I needed to know.