How to load changes made to zotero.jar in standalone?

I'd like to change the colors available for tags (the palette isn't customizable, unfortunately). The defaults are set by tagColorChooser.js in the zotero.jar file (see line 50: https://github.com/zotero/zotero/blob/4dd56eadfca9b89e1728661776407337bb823ebd/chrome/content/zotero/tagColorChooser.js).

Simply changing the file in the existing installation using 7-Zip isn't sufficient (not sure why, but that's what I've read). With the Firefox version it's easy to change the Zotero xpi file and reinstall it, after which the changes are applied. However, I don't want to have to rebuild the standalone client (not experienced enough, and don't have time to learn right now). Is there a simpler way to apply small changes made to zotero.jar?

For this particular case I can actually just set the tag colors using the Firefox extension, and they're transferred to the standalone version as well (just the tag colors, not the default palette). But for future reference I'd still like to know if the standalone version can be modified without requiring a rebuild.

Thanks!