CAS SciFinder import / export

I’m teaching citation management and finding that Zotero is fast becoming a free resource of choice for many students both from a standalone and web perspective. I can’t seem to get the Zotero Windows “Save to Zotero” tool to work in SciFinder, it works in every other application including web URLs, Web of Science, ACS journal PDFs, EBSCO, DOI drop, etc. I’ve configured my pop up blocker, etc. using Chrome, in a Windows environment, but this is not the problem. Won’t work from SciPlanner and not from saved answer sets. Copying DOIs works, but this is not the point of the software.

Any help would be appreciated, email also sent to ACS.

Ian Gordon
Brock University Library
  • At present, there is no translator for SciFinder. I'm not sure if any translator developer has access (the cost of it has risen to the extent that few people at my old alma mater or at my current employer have access). You should be able to import the RIS that SciFinder generates manually, though. If you manage to reach someone at CAS, these are instructions to make a site zotero-compatible: https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/exposing_metadata
  • When using the Firefox version, the RIS exported from SciFinder should import automatically (after a prompt). At least it used to when I last looked at this in 2012.

My recollection is that the site was built on top of so much software that it was very hard to make it work with Zotero, but either way, I no longer have access. I'd be willing to take a look if CAC gives me test access.
  • CAS Help Desk mentioned that "they do not have any way at this time to make this happen, but will pass this request on to developers to possibly make changes with future releases of SciFinder." Ian