zotero integration error

hi all,
by trying to add citation or other functions of the word integration the following error occurs:

Ein Fehler ist beim Update Ihres Dokuments aufgetreten.

[JavaScript Error: "couldn't open library C:\Users\lars-_000\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\jab23h8g.default\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\resource\libzoteroWinWordIntegration.dll: error 193" {file: "file:///C:/Users/lars-_000/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/jab23h8g.default/extensions/zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroWinWordIntegration.js" line: 48}]'[JavaScript Error: "couldn't open library C:\Users\lars-_000\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\jab23h8g.default\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\resource\libzoteroWinWordIntegration.dll: error 193" {file: "file:///C:/Users/lars-_000/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/jab23h8g.default/extensions/zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroWinWordIntegration.js" line: 48}]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationApplication::getDocument]

could somebody help me with this problem? thx
  • which versions of Zotero and Word (and, if applicable, Firefox)?
  • word: 2013
    Firefox 42.0

- Zotero 4.0.28.7
    - Zotero Word for Windows Integration 3.5.2
  • you could try for good measure to re-install the word-add-on. One user reported success with that.
    I understand correctly that this affects any Word document, not just one specific one?
    And you've tried restarting your computer?
  • done. 3 times :D but nothing changed. It occurs everytime, opening word and starting a new document and in the case of loading one. restart didn't helped, too. I'm so done while searching for hours to find a solution :/
  • Hmm -- I don't have great ideas here and we don't have anyone else reporting this with current Zotero versions, but here are some guesses:

1) My best guess might be that Word is tripping over the -__ in the filepath that's part of your profile name. I'm not actually sure if there is an easy way to address that, but you could test on a different user account with a regular (just letters and numbers) username.

2) See if there's any security software that you could disable while testing (errors while opening files are often related to file permissions or security issues)

3) See if installing Zotero Standalone will work and using Word with that open works -- it's not super likely, but might work.
  • https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/51446/cannot-add-citation-to-word-error-reference-642443565/

there is another person with the equal problem asked for solution in Aug 27th 2015

so I think 1) couldn't be the background (user name with letters only)
    I can't remember installing any additional security software (except of avira). Could there be an windows internal security that prevent it?
  • I'm aware of all the old threads, but it's a pretty generic issue, so it's not at all sure that they're all caused by the same problem, not least since most disappeared after re-installing or with the most recent update (you found the one exception).

My best advice would still be to run through all three -- and yes, that does include trying to disable AVIRA and Internal security (you can disconnect from the internet during that time if you're nervous about that). Also, it doesn't sound like you tried with Standalone, did you?
  • Today I tried the Standalone and it works!!!!
    Firt time I was a little bit wary about this, because of the known use of the firefox integration. But its nearly the same with the installed connector :)
    Thank you very much for your quick help and guesses - you saved me from despair!
  • that's great. Note that they both point to the same data directory, so you can run Firefox only while adding sources and use Standalone only when you're writing (if you find that helpful -- you can also use both at all times, as I take it you're doing now).

That strongly suggests that something is preventing Word from accessing the files of the Word integration in Firefox, likely file permissions or security software, so if you wanted to troubleshoot that further, that's where I'd look, but it's also perfectly reasonable to just let good enough be good enough now that it's working for you.