Displaying Footnotes

I changed the edition to show footnotes instead of in document citations and the footnote numbers appeared instead of the citations. The problem is that the footnotes did not appear at the bottom of the pages. How can I get the footnotes to display?
  • I'm guessing you didn't switch to footnotes but to a numerical style.
    Click "Insert Bibliography" to show the references corresponding to number
  • I tried this. It displayed the bibliography.
  • which citation style are you using?
  • Chicago 16th edition - full note
  • have you checked that you're not in some kind of draft mode of Word that doesn't show footnotes at all? E.g. do you see a footnote that you're inserting manually in Word?
    There is no way to hide/show footnotes with Zotero. They always show.
    And make sure you don't have them set to endnotes (in which case they'd be at the end of the document, obviously.
  • No, its a saved Word document. I think I know what the problem is. I had already put some citations in the document and then changed the edition from APA 6th edition to Chicago 16th edition. My guess is that in order to fix the problem I have to start the document from the beginning because changing the edition after the document has been created will only put the little footnote numbers at the end of the sentences, but will not put the footnotes at the bottom of each page. It could just be a glitch in Zotero. Do you agree?
  • No I don't agree, that's definitely possible to switch from APA to Chicago. People do it all the time. How about this question:
    do you see a footnote that you're inserting manually in Word?
  • No, the footnote is not displayed on Word. The little numbers at the end of the cited sentences are displayed though. I started a new document in Chicago 16th edition and created a footnote and it worked. This leads me to consider that there is a glitch in my Zotero that prevents the actual footnotes from displaying at the bottom of the page.
  • or a glitch in your document -- if you don't see footnotes inserted with Word, either, that can't really be Zotero's doing...
  • Ok. at least you helped me figure out what the problem is. I will have to start the Word document from scratch. I shouldn't have to but since there is something obviously not working right I will do so. Thank you for helping me figure out that its Word not Zotero. :)