Zotero Standalone stopped importing styles

Today suddenly Zotero Standalone stopped recognizing and importing .csl files. When I double-click on a .csl file, I get a standard Windows message "Windows can't open this file". When I drag .csl file into Zotero window, nothing happens. I tried to manually copy .csl file into Zotero profile folder and restarting Zotero, but it had no effect either.

Report ID: 1287731012

At the same time, when I looked at Zotero preferences, I noticed that it said "Word add-on not installed", which was strange, because not only it was installed - it was working normally at the time (I was inserting citations and refreshing bibliography). I re-installed Word add-on, which seems to work normally as before. This had no effect on the .csl situation.

What preceded this (I don't know if it has any bearing, but these are the only new events which happened):
1. Couple of days ago I decided to try Juris-M alongside Zotero Standalone. I've been interested in multilingual options for a long time, but didn't want to install MLZ because I didn't want it to overwrite Zotero. It seemed to me from the description that Juris-M could be used without interfering with Zotero (maybe I was wrong?). Anyway, after installation of Juris-M, Zotero continued to work normally, but I could not get Juris-M to work. I realized that I don't have time to figure it out right now, so yesterday I uninstalled Juris-M.

Now, through all of this Zotero was working normally and importing .csl files. I did a lot of tweaking of the style I use, so was constantly re-importing. I'm pretty sure that I installed some styles yesterday AFTER deinstallation of Juris-M, and everything was normal.

2. Yesterday evening I also installed two plugins for Zotero: RTF/ODF-Scan and Zotero Uppercase Subtitles.

What else I tried:
Associating .csl files with Zotero in Windows, uninstalling both new plugins, randomly downloading various styles from Zotero depository (to make sure it's not a problem with my styles), restarting Zotero, restarting Windows, uninstalling and reinstalling Zotero (without deleting user's preferences).

Sorry for such a long post, I just wanted to provide as much relevant information as possible. I've been using Zotero for a long time, and it was always stable and dependable. Now I'm concerned that I'd somehow broke something...
  • Update: I did another uninstall-reinstall cycle with Zotero. This time I fully unistalled Zotero Standalone (including user preferences) and Firefox plugin, then reinstalled. Now I can import .csl files by manually coping them into Zotero folder and restarting OR by clicking "+" on Styles tab and choosing the file. Double-click importing still does not work, but the situation is much better. I could live with this!

Still not sure what happened and why though...
  • I could see how juris-m could interfere with the double click install of CSL files, though I figure re-associating CSL with Zotero should have fixed that. I have nothing on the other issues. I see no way any of the add-ons or juris-m could have interfered with that, but now that you have those working again that seems less important.

Best guess I have is a corrupted style directory. Should this happen again and I'm right, you can fix that by using "Reset Styles" from the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences.
  • Thanks for your help, adamsmith!
    As I said, I can live with importing styles through Preferences, but I'm still curious. :)

I backed up my custom styles and did "Reset Styles". It did not have any effect on double click problem. However, I noticed one interesting thing. I actually have two user accounts on my computer - one standard, one admin. I'm the only user - it's just part of my security setup. I usually work under standard account and go to admin only for installations and so on. So, I logged into my admin account and - surprisingly - double-click .csl import works from there.

It looks like Juris-M maybe switched some parameter in the registry for one account, but not for another. To confound matters, when I run Zotero from my standard account but in "Run as administrator" mode, double-click still does not work!

Well, as I said, it's more a matter of curiosity than urgency now. Pity that all this made me hesitate to try Juris-M again, I really wanted to explore multilingual capabilities...