Multiple authors in citation not sorted

Hi, I am using the simple author year format for citation and was inserting multiple entries into one citation. It did every thing fine but the citation in the text is not sorted either by the date or by author name. The bibliography is sorted by name but not the in-text citation. If I try to sort it mannually it will go back to the original state if I do refresh. Any help would be appreciated.
  • that's odd indeed - it does that for me in all author-date formats. Which one are you using?
  • irrespective of the author-date style it does this. I have been using chicago manual style. Looks like zotero puts the intext citation only in the order I select them in the multiple reference selection stage. The pain is i have no way or reordering or sorting them on that screen. Is this a feature currently lacking? or is it possible that some styles will do this sorting job on its own?
  • as I said - they should _all_ be sorting (and at least in my version that's what they do).
    System specs?
    And can you see what happens when you look at the chrome pane
    chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul
    or export multiple entries as citation using shift&drag&drop
  • In the chrome pane the multiple citations are sorted by first author surnames in chicago manual style. However, in my word document it will only display the in-text citation only in the order I choose while selecting references. It does not sort in any order.
  • hmm - seems like this is a plug-in issue. Maybe one of the programmers can say something - which word processor are you using? And have you made sure that both your Zotero and your plug-in are up to date.
    (sorting works for me on Ooo 2.4, Ubuntu 8.10)
  • Source ordering is style dependent. Try the APA style. Sources are automatically sorted alphabetically. With APA you can toggle that sorting off by unchecking keep items sorted check box, but that only affects styles that set a sort order.

There is another ticket about reordering items in the multiple citations box. https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/1001
  • Thanks. The APA style is working fine. It gives me an option to check the "source sorted". But I would say, if the multiple citation box itself can incorporate something that gives the user the discretion to sort either by year or surnames, that would be great.