Best location for the Zotero Library

Quote from the Zotero Forum:
Unless you have a good reason to use a custom data directory location, we recommend using the default location within your Firefox profile.

On OS X the Firefox profile wasn't being indexed by the operating system so when searching for files I knew I had somewhere, I was having to do two searches, one using OS X Spotlight and another within Zotero. I've now moved the Zotero Library out of the Firefox/Profiles location to where I can find it easily. This seems better because OS X is now indexing files (titles I've given my pdfs) and the library is readily accessible to backup as well.

Are there benefits in keeping with the default Firefox location that I will now miss? If I close Firefox I presume it will still do it's back up in the new location or do I lose that now?

I _think_ I'm in a win/win situation here!
  • As long as you don't move files around inside the storage directory you should be fine.
  • I do the same thing as you, Madigania. It's a lot easier to back up. In fact, I've put my Zotero folder on a shared network drive so that I can even use it on other machines (this will no longer be needed if the final Sync version comes around).