Annotated Pdfs saving and Annotation Extraction

Hi Everyone,
I have had problems extracting annotations from Zotero using Zotfile and after looking into it for a bit I think it may have to do with how I am using it. At the moment my workflow is along these lines.

Save pdf to Zotero
Open pdf in external viewer (Adobe Reader)
Save annotated pdf to OneDrive
Try and extract annotations.

I am guessing part of the problem is how and where I am saving the pdf but am not sure how to get around it and that this lies at the heart of why I cant extract any annotations.
I know this is prob a really simple mistake and easy fix but I am not particularly tech savvy so any help would be great!
Cheers,
  • yes, that would be the problem. You'd have to save the file back to where you opened it from. Otherwise you're having ZotFile trying to extract annotations from the not-annotated document stored in Zotero.

I think Acrobat may have made it harder to save a PDF back to its original location in a recent-ish update. I don't use Acrobat, so someone else would have to comment on that.
  • Thanks Adam,

Thats what I thought but I have no idea how to save it back to the original location. I have tried to copy and paste the address from the Zotero directory when saving but that didnt seem to work.
    Is there an easier pdf reader to use maybe?

Thanks for the help!
  • I think both pdfXchange and FoxIt would work.
  • thanks i'll try those
  • Adam Smith

Thankyou very much! it is now working after shifting from Adobe Reader to Pdf Xchange!

Hours of work saved. Thanks for all that you do on here!

Pete