Mac OS : Keep failing to install Zotero into Libre Office

Hi,

After trying just about all advice I could find on this forum on installation of zotero libre office plugin on Mac OS I still cannot do it.

My config
• OS X 10.11.1
• JRE 8 65/66 (update after install of 10.11.1)
• Firefox plug-in
• Libre Office 5.

After going to Zotero preferences and clicking Install Libre office add in.. it keeps giving me this message

Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org/NeoOffice is closed, and then restart Zotero.

Of course both Libre office and NeoOffice are closed. I already have Java installed, and it still would not do it.

Could you please advise what else can I do ?
  • Have you read the troubleshooting guide at:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#libreoffice_and_openoffice

Getting the Mac OS, LibreOffice, various versions of JRE, and Zotero to play together properly can be frustrating. Pay particular attention to the location of your JREs, the JRE version, and follow the instructions at my link above to verify that your LibreOffice is recognizing the right JRE. Also verify that your LO has the Zotero plug-in marked as active.
  • specifically LibreOffice 5, too -- this isn't working anywhere as smoothly as it should in installation, but it's definitely possible. There are some threads with more detailed reports of successful installations and what it took (as DWL says, most of it JRE related). I'll try to get you some links tonight, but that's what you want to look for if you're trying to fix this before.
  • edited October 26, 2015
    I use Zotero for FireFox for gathering items into my library but use Z-standalone when I am writing with LO. I found that the recent Mac OS changes, LO upgrades, and JRE updates have not affected the Zotero-LO connection (except that I've had to manually point LO to the new JRE).

Edit: What adamsmith said. I am writing about my experience with LO 5. The inter-program cooperation Zotero/LO 4 was troublesome to get right but LO 5 was much more difficult. I haven't been able to get Zotero in FF to work properly. (I stopped that effort once I reached success with the standalone.)
  • edited October 26, 2015
    This thread has the most comprehensive troubleshooting&results for LibreOffice 5 installations. I'd suggest reading through these to see what might work. Feel free to post either here or there (but only in one of the two places, please) if that doesn't work.
  • edited October 27, 2015
    Thanks for your help!

After a number of attempts to activate Zotero extension in Libre office (Libre office was freezing like crazy), and repeated Java download (specifically for El Capitan now) and installation, it seems to be working now.

I hope I made Libre office, Java and Zotero long term friends at least for the time when I am writing my dissertation, but hopefully beyond!
  • Hello,

Could you try this ?

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/53597/warning-dialogs-not-visible-in-libreoffice-under-mac-os-x-1011-el-capitan/#Item_2

I had some troubles too for the install.

But it's still instable … :-(

Before my update, my system was :

• OS X 10.9.5
    • Firefox plugin
    • LO 5
    • Java for Mac OS 6 (65)

It was working … 
  • @Oji -- no, different issue, sorry.
  • @adamsmith: Going back to the problem definition above, and your claim that this is LO, or Oracle, or Apple: As I mentioned in that previous post (link below) I was in touch with people at LO and they basically told be they have nothing to do with this.

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/53597/warning-dialogs-not-visible-in-libreoffice-under-mac-os-x-1011-el-capitan/#Item_2

I can say ok to all this, with all due respect (I'm no Donald Trump). However, this leaves a lot of us in the cold. What I wonder is whether people from the Zotero team could talk with people from the LO team to try and get to the bottom of that. Or am I wishful thinking?

Thank you for your consideration.