Constant Saving Problems

I am having more or less a constant issue saving citations now. Did not before. Using El Capitan OS with iMac and Zotero 4.0.26.3. I reinstalled the Safari extension, although it seemed like nothing happened when I did. Here is a copy of the error message for a NYT article: (I have never had a problem with NYT articles.)

Saving Item…
How Texas Teaches History
An error occurred while saving this item. Check Known Translator Issues for more information.

Perhaps there is a simple fix. I am planning to reinstall Zotero from scratch if I cannot get an answer here.

Thanks!
  • start by updating Zotero to the current version (4.0.28.8). Good chance that'll fix it.
  • thanks Adam...awesome! Do I have to uninstall the version I haven start fresh, and if not, if you would be so kind...how do I accomplish the update? (and, can I automate it?)

Thanks, have a great weekend,

Eric
  • Oops, corrections:

"the version I have and start fresh"

(and, can I automate it for the future?)
  • it should just happen automatically, not sure why it doesn't for. There is a check for update option in the Help menu (I believe -- unfortunately the menus aren't exactly the same on all OS).
  • Thanks Adam...I did find the updates under help and updated the program. I also then installed the latest Safari extension. However, still "no go." Again, seems to have roughly coincided with the El Capitan update, but I haven't heard of anyone else with this issue. After hitting the send button here I will turn the computer off and on.
  • OK..working!!!

Here was my method:

1) updated the application to the latest version per Adam's "how to" above
    2) turned the computer off and on
    3) Re-installed the safari extension (not sure this was necessary)
    4) Finally (under Zotero, tools, add-ons, then preferences), I reinstalled Microsoft word add-in

Thanks Adam!
  • I'd have figured 1-2 would have done it, but anyway, glad it's working.
  • Perhaps I can find Adam again!

I am having the same problem again. Zotero is up to date now, and I reinstalled the Safari extension. (It worked once after this but only once.)

Not sure what to do: El Captian, Zotero, and the Safari Extension are all up to date. I also reinstalled the MW add-on.

Best,

Eric
  • We'll need an example URL and a Report ID from Safari to start. A Debug ID from Safari for a save attempt may also be helpful.
  • http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/upshot/is-the-economy-really-in-trouble.html

Report ID 937091199
  • Also: (if relevant)

Save via Server
    Zotero Connector must be authorized in order to save items to zotero.org when Zotero Standalone is not open.

When I try to authorize, does not take.

Thanks!

Eric
  • do you happen to use some type of proxy server to connect to the internet? Normally you shouldn't be even be needing to use "Save via Server" in the first place -- the connector should go straight to Standalone.
  • Hi Sir:

I am not using a proxy server to my knowledge, just the iMac and a Time Capsule as the wireless router, if that helps.
  • what do you get when you paste
    http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping
    into Safari's URL bar?
  • "Safari can't connect to server"
  • yeah, so something is intercepting traffic on so-called local ports, the way different Zotero components communicate. (This should say "Endpoint does not support method").

Could you try disabling any security/firewall software you have for testing and see if that makes a difference?
  • Hmmm...I do not use any security/firewall SW unless it is built into the iMac or Time Capsule.
  • @Dan -- any idea what could be causing this on a standard Mac setup?
  • Other than proxy or security software, I don't really have any ideas.

Erressler, just in case we get lucky, can you check the zotero.org certificate info?
  • Also, if you have any other browsers installed (Chrome, Firefox), do you get the same result for http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping in all browsers?
  • Also, just to be clear, do you have Zotero Standalone open when you're trying that?
  • Hi Dan:

1) The certificate info checks out per your criteria.

2) Chrome (only other browser installed): When I load the above URL I get "The webpage is not available. ERR_Connection_Refused. (Under details it suggested to reboot the router, which I have not done yet.)

3) I never open the standalone version unless I need to manually add a reference, which is what I am doing now. I open it via an icon in the dock along the bottom of the iMac.

Best,

Eric
  • Sorry, still not clear — is Standalone open when you're trying the ping URL? It needs to be. What we're testing is the communication between the browsers and Standalone.
  • My apologies; I did not understand:

When I load the above url into both browsers with Zotero standalone open, I get the same result for both Safari and Chrome: "Endpoint does not support method."
  • OK, and with Zotero Standalone open, can you save items?
  • You guys are awesome! I did one test, and although previously I have never had to open the standalone version in order to save a citation, this worked!

Appreciate the help, sorry if I did not understand, sincerely,

Eric
  • if you're attached to getting this to work without Standalone, we can try to troubleshoot that, too -- while more limited in some respects, it should still work.
  • Do you mean "work without Standalone OPEN"?

The only issue I can see now is a lack of convenience in having to open up the program when I want to save, or keep it open in the background all the time, or all the time I am on the internet. I do prefer completely automated, which has been the way it has worked up to now. I guess it depends on how long it takes to troubleshoot this and what the limitations would then be.
  • limitations: there are a couple of pages that don't work without Standalone and automatic PDF import may work on fewer pages. But that hasn't changed, i.e. it will work just as well as it did for you previously.

troubleshooting -- so when you try to authorize the connector from the options in Safari, you said it doesn't take: what exactly happens?

(referring to this by you above:
    Save via Server
    Zotero Connector must be authorized in order to save items to zotero.org when Zotero Standalone is not open.
  • Hey Adam:

In between discussion entries I committed myself to a big meeting on Friday and may be up to my eyeballs until then. If that turns out to be the case, please don't think I am uninterested in responding. :)