Word plugin won't install

Hi,

I've been trying to install the Word plugin, but I get the following error: "We're sorry. We can't open Zotero-WinWord-Plugin-3.5.2 because we found a problem with its contents. Details: Microsoft Office cannot open this file because some parts are missing or invalid".

I'm using the most recent version of the plugin, and Word 2013. I've looked on the troubleshooting page, but this error doesn't seem to be there.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Danni
  • I assume you've tried re-downloading and re-installing the add-on?
    I don't think we've ever seen that error message.
  • Yes, I've tried it three times now. Turned it off, turned it on again, etc. I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 and re-installed Office - could that have anything to do with it?
  • Tried again today, downloaded again and tried installing but got exactly the same error message. Any ideas? Thanks, Danni
  • Can you tell whether that's a Word or a Zotero/Firefox error message?
  • It looks like a Word error message. I can email a screenshot if that would help?
  • post to a free image hosting site and link to it here if you don't mind.
  • https://www.flickr.com/photos/136493022@N03/21790370403/in/datetaken/
  • oh, wait, how are you trying to install the word add-on?
    You should open the file in Firefox, not in Word. Zotero will handle the Word installation automatically. If you're using Zotero Standalone, the add-on comes pre-installed.
  • I can't remember having an option or choosing to open it in Word. But I am using Zotero Standalone - can't see the add-in in Word though:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136493022@N03/21789039424/in/datetaken/

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.
  • So what are you doing when you get the error message originally reported?
  • I click 'Ok', it brings up another box saying that the content was unreadable, do I want to recover the contents of the document, yes or no. If i click yes it says again that it can't open the file and closes the boxes, if I click no it just closes the boxes straight away.
  • No, I mean -- what triggered that message in the first place? What are you doing before that message pops up?
  • Ah, right, I click to download the plugin, and then click on the download to install.
  • Right, so see what adamsmith says above:
    If you're using Zotero Standalone, the add-on comes pre-installed.
    You don't need (and shouldn't try to) to download the Word plugin if you're using Zotero Standalone. What you're downloading is the Word plugin for Zotero for Firefox.

If you're not seeing the Word plugin in Word already, you can reinstall it from the Cite pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • If you're using Standalone, as I say, this should be pre-installed. (and it does indeed look like Word is trying to open that file which it was never supposed to be able to do) Since it doesn't show up in Word, first try reinstalling from the "Cite" tab in the Zotero preferences. Once installed, the add-on should show up in a Zotero tab in Word.
  • That was the first thing I tried, but it's showing as installed in the Cite tab in Zotero preferences, but no Zotero tab is showing up in Word.
  • edited October 23, 2015
    See if you can see Zotero listed under Macros (in the developer tab of Word) and make sure it's enabled. If it's not there,

try this, though you want to be using the .dotm file not the .dot file (without file extension visible, one will be listed as a Word 1997-2003 template--you _don't_ want that one).
    https://www.zotero.org/support/windows_word_plugin_manual_installation_instructions