[Solved]How to Change Footnote in Chicago?

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out how it works but I am either blind, stupid or both.

I love Zotero and its wonderful integration into Firefox and Word (2007 in my case) but at the moment I struggle a bit with an adaptation of the Chicago Style towards a customized Citation Style my Professor requested me to use.

The style "Chicago Manual of Style (Note with Bibliography)" gives me a Footnote which is:
Author,"Titel", page
but I would need
Author, Year, page

As it is only the Footnote I thought it can't be that difficult, but hell it is. ;-)

I tried to understand the syntax of the CSL-File but I could not understand where the Footnotes are actually described in there.

Can anyone give me a hint how I can change the Footnote-Style?

Thanks a lot
Georg
  • edited January 18, 2009
    Some info on CSL that may be helpful:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/creating_citation_styles
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/csl_syntax_summary

As for your question: look for the citation element. The following piece of CSL code, found in the citation element, specifies how the footnote should be formatted when an item is referenced for the first time:
    <else>
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="contributors-short"/>
    <text macro="title-short"/>
    <text macro="point-locators-subsequent"/>
    </group>
    </else>

Change this into:
    <else>
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="contributors-short"/>
    <date variable="issued">
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    <text macro="point-locators-subsequent"/>
    </group>
    </else>
  • @Rintze
    thanks THANKS a lot!!!

That worked perfectly for me, I still don't really understand the syntax but that's fine with me as long as it works :D

Thanks a lot from me and my fellow colleagues who had the same issue!! You saved a few people headaches today!

@all just as a hint
    don't forget to change the ID and Name of the style otherwise you will overwrite the original style set you had based your "copy" on

Thanks
    georg