Saving item doesnt go to Selected collection

I tried doing structured research with zotero and the problem was that if I have a certain collection open, say Col1 and I'm doing related research. Every time I add an article, it goes to My Library, where I have to search for it and move it to Col1. It would be great if this is automatic.

Further, sometimes when I click on an article it opens in a new window. Downloading abstract from the window auto-saves in Zotero (an excellent feature). If this feature too was extended so that the saving happened in the collection last open in the parent window it would be cool.

Lastly, If I have zotero open in two different windows, with a different collection in each, and if each pops up a new window with the actual article, then the corresponding article should save to the corresponding parent window - that would be icing on the cake!

I notice that if I take a snapshot, it saves in the current collection...
  • vav -- how are you saving that causes the item to be created in the Library but not the active collection? There were a couple known issues in Beta 3 with the tag selector closed that caused that to happen. I suspect whatever the problem is, it's been fixed on the development branch, but if you can list the exact steps to reproduce, I can verify (or you can just check if the problem goes away with the tag selector open).

For your other request, I guess the logic would be to save to the currently selected collection in the parent window if (and only if) the Zotero pane in the new window was closed and hadn't yet been opened?
  • Dan,

I have my tag selector open at all times... I use google scholar/ engineering village, then click on a searched article. That opens a new window in some cases, e.g. if the article is from ieeexplore. Then I choose to download citation in endnote format, and zotero automagically saves the article to the library. I dont open the zotero pane in the new window...
    Now if I do open the zotero pane in the new window, and select the collection again in that window, then select to download, it saves correctly to the selected collection.
    So I guess my feature request boils down to child windows inheriting the selected collection from the parent, which I think makes sense for most cases...
This discussion has been closed.