open PDF/attachment in the operating system, not browser?

Is there a way, or can there at some point be a way to open an attachment not via a browser plugin, but as if I had double-clicked it from the directory it's in?

I know i could click the attachment, then click the "show file" button on the right, then double click the file there, but I am hoping for something a little quicker, or even the ability to do that by default when I double-click for specific file types.

The reason I want to do this is so that I can use adobe's highlight/annotation tools for PDFs. In the current scheme, if I double click a PDF attachment and it loads via the browser plugin, I'm not able to save any changes/annotations I make to the file without saving as a new name and reimporting it into zotero. If I had opened the PDF manually I would of course be able to just click "save" button and all would be well.

Thanks,
Keith
  • Enable the extensions.zotero.launchNonNativeFiles hidden pref in about:config.
  • Sweet! Thanks! yet another reason to continue my zotero evangelism.
  • For more control over how the browser handles PDFs (in general, outside zotero) I recommend the PDF Download plugin. When you click on a PDF the plugin prompts with a choice to download, open with the plugin (inside browser), outside the browser, or convert to html. It's suffering a bit from feature bloat (they're emphasizing PDF conversion) but still does the basic intervention.

http://www.pdfdownload.org/