Warning dialogs not visible in LibreOffice under Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

This is true of all warnings. One clear case is if I have to change a sets of citations from a field I had previously modified in LibreOffice (version 4 and 5 behave the same).

Steps:
- Click on modified field (e.g. field where I entered the string "among others"
- Click on Zotero toolbar to modify my reference
- This triggers a warning message. While I know it's 'there', I cannot see it. So I hit "enter" to validate my action and then everything is normal from there.

So only the warnings seem to be doing this.
  • Oji
    edited October 27, 2015
    Same here.

I update my mac this WE (from 10.9.5 to 10.11.1) and this trouble appears.

My config
    • OS X 10.11.1
    • JRE 8 65/66 (update after install of 10.11.1)
    • Firefox plug-in
    • Libre Office 5.

If I try to edit a citation while my cursor is on a blank zone, there is no warning message. I need to press Enter to activate my windows.

Strange.

Furthermore. Something new. After clicking many times on Edit Citation, Libre Office and Firefox crash.

When I try to restart LO, this message appears (sorry for the french)

"Une autre instance de LibreOffice est en train d'accéder à vos paramètres personnels ou ces derniers sont verrouillés.
    Un accès simultané peut provoquer des incohérences dans vos paramètres personnels. Avant de continuer, assurez-vous que l'utilisateur '*user*' quitte bien LibreOffice sur l'hôte '*computer name*-Local'.

Voulez-vous vraiment continuer ?"

Here is the debug : ID 1445850005134

[JavaScript Error: "Vous devez disposer le curseur dans une citation Zotero pour la modifier."]
    [JavaScript Error: "Vous devez disposer le curseur dans une citation Zotero pour la modifier."]
    [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: this.controller is undefined" {file: "chrome://browser/content/places/browserPlacesViews.js" line: 262}]
    [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: this.controller is undefined" {file: "chrome://browser/content/places/browserPlacesViews.js" line: 262}]
    [JavaScript Error: "Component returned failure code: 0x804b0036 (NS_ERROR_SOCKET_ADDRESS_IN_USE) [nsIServerSocket.init]" {file: "file:///Users/******/Library/Application%20Support/Firefox/Profiles/vwz9qxzc.default/extensions/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration.js" line: 62}]
    [JavaScript Error: "Vous devez insérer une citation avant d'effectuer cette opération."]
    [JavaScript Error: "TelemetryStopwatch: key "PLACES_AUTOCOMPLETE_URLINLINE_DOMAIN_QUERY_TIME_MS" was already initialized" {file: "resource://gre/modules/TelemetryStopwatch.jsm" line: 52}]

version => 4.0.28.7, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.11, locale => fr-FR, appName => Firefox, appVersion => 41.0.2, extensions => Adblock Plus (2.6.11, extension), Gmail Notifier (restartless) (0.5.8, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (3.5.10, extension), Codec vidéo OpenH264 fourni par Cisco Systems, Inc. (1.4, plugin), Default Browser Helper (601, plugin, disabled), Java Applet Plug-in (Java 8 Update 66 build 17, plugin, disabled)

Any idea ?
  • I have been in touch with people on the LO side of things but they're basically saying that the problem is on the Zotero side of things. However things are fine on Open Office.

My hope is that this issue does not fall in between the two teams --that would be a shame.

Thank you for your help with all this.
  • edited November 1, 2015
    I did some additional testing over the weekend, using the very latest version of Java (Version 8 Update 65) and a few different version of LibreOffice. The problem occurs everywhere under Mac OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan).

On the other hand, the problem does not occur under Mac OS X 10.10.5.

However, it does not occur using the Zotero plugin with OpenOffice 4.1.2 (which is terrible in many other respects, however).

In sum: the problem truly is specific to LibreOffice running under Mac OS X 10.11.

I hope this helps!
  • Sorry that this took forever to get any response on. We were/are a bit short on people able to work with docs integration plugins. I've created a github issue to track the problem.
  • @adomasven - thank you for chiming in. As I mentioned in other posts about this, I would be willing to serve as a tester or whatever. I understand that you guys are busy and thank you for every effort you might put into this. FYI: the problem has remainder the same since LO 5 was released, across all versions of macOS and JDK released since.
  • I've been talking to people over at LibreOffice, but they seem to be pretty negligent of this. This is a very specific and isolated problem, which probably affects a lot of people that use third-party extensions, but manifests itself as an apparent freeze, which is probably why it has gone incorrectly diagnosed for so long. I've created a ticket for it if you want to follow it or chime in to show that there are multiple people affected by this in a major way.
  • @adomasven - thank you for following up. I confirm here that this does affect a lot of people, who then turn away from Zotero and/or LO. A real bummer. I'll move to your ticket now as this issue is pretty close to my heart --it affects my work and that of my research team on a daily basis.
  • I can confirm this bug

Libre Office is 5.3
    Zotero is 5.0-beta.202+ddc9989
    OSX 10.11.6