Aggressive highlighting in snapshot

I'm getting some erratic behaviour with highlighting of page snapshots from Lexis. The pages have a few characteristics that might be contributing to the problem. They are in some sort of CSS viewport, with a fixed "navigation bar" at the top and another at the bottom. There are also linked endnotes in the pages. When I highlight text to the end of a paragraph, I get a highlight to the end of the document, which has to be removed manually.

If you are able to take a look, I can bundle up the snapshot files and send them along.
  • D'oh! "View printable text", linked right there in the document. So scratch that for our purposes. Can forward the files anyway, if it's important.
  • Not-d'oh.

The downloaded page is simpler, but the problem persists. Highlighting sometimes triggers a blanket sea of yellow from the cursor position to the bottom of the document. Removing the unwanted highlighting destroys any others that were overlaid by it.

Not sure of the cause, and can't find a clear pattern in the failures, other than that it sometimes seems to be caused by crossing paragraph boundaries.

I'm thinking that the most likely cause may be the extensive Javascript embedded in the pages (this downloads even for the printable version). If we could strip this during the download, that would be great. Otherwise, is there a chance someone in the team could take a look at their function names and let me know if anything raises a red flag?
  • I seem to be monopolizing this one. :) Had some time to play with this today, and I've tracked down the problem. The fault is consistent. Here is a minimal document:
    <html>
    <head><title>Document to break highlighting</title></head>
    <body>
    <div>
    One small paragraph.<br/>
    Another small paragraph.
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

If the cursor is placed in the first paragraph, the mouse is clicked, held and moved into the space separating it from the next, releasing the cursor will create a highlight to the end of the DIV. In the documents that will see the heaviest use of highlighting among our users, the BR-formatted text within the DIV is typically between fifty and a hundred printed pages in length, so this is an issue for us.

The faulty code is at line 204 to 252 of annotate.js, in r4003 of the trunk. It recognizes that it's in a non-text node, but it grabs the last child of the surrounding environment (the DIV), which is clearly wrong. I'm now fishing around with alerts to find a way to identify the BR tag, and hope to have a fix done soon.
  • @Dan, Simon: I think the variable names "childAttribute" and "siblingAttribute" were obscuring the logic of what needs to happen. When failing forward to the next #TEXT_TYPE (i.e. to find the starting position), you need to check children of the current node first, and then any siblings. That was working correctly. When failing backward (to find the ending position of the range), you need to check siblings first, and then the parent if necessary. The patch below fixes it for us, and should work on other documents, but as ever, do try before you buy.
    diff -u -r zotero-trunk.orig/chrome/content/zotero/xpcom/annotate.js zotero-trunk/chrome/content/zotero/xpcom/annotate.js
    --- zotero-trunk.orig/chrome/content/zotero/xpcom/annotate.js 2009-01-24 15:44:37.000000000 +0900
    +++ zotero-trunk/chrome/content/zotero/xpcom/annotate.js 2009-01-25 15:24:56.000000000 +0900
    @@ -212,8 +212,8 @@
    * @return {Array} The node and offset
    */
    function _getTextNode(container, offset, isStart) {
    - var childAttribute = isStart ? "firstChild" : "lastChild";
    - var siblingAttribute = isStart ? "nextSibling" : "lastSibling";
    + var firstPriorityTarget = isStart ? "firstChild" : "previousSibling";
    + var secondPriorityTarget = isStart ? "nextSibling" : "parentNode";

container = Zotero.Annotate.dereferenceNodeOffset(container, offset);
    if(container.nodeType == TEXT_TYPE) return [container, 0];
    @@ -224,10 +224,10 @@
    container = node;
    break;
    } else {
    - if(node[childAttribute]) {
    - node = node[childAttribute];
    - } else if(node[siblingAttribute]) {
    - node = node[siblingAttribute];
    + if(node[firstPriorityTarget]) {
    + node = node[firstPriorityTarget];
    + } else if(node[secondPriorityTarget]) {
    + node = node[secondPriorityTarget];
    } else {
    node = node.parentNode;
    if(node.isSameNode(container)) {
    Frank B
  • edited January 25, 2009
    Okay, so this was a little more involved than I thought. The code above was also broken. The code below wears suspenders and a belt, and seems to be pretty solid, at least with my own casual clicking around. It tries to drill deeper into the DOM, and clambers back up the hierarchy when it runs out of things to look at. It should only fail on a document that contains no text elements at all.

diff -u -r zotero-trunk.orig/chrome/content/zotero/xpcom/annotate.js zotero-trunk/chrome/content/zotero/xpcom/annotate.js
    --- zotero-trunk.orig/chrome/content/zotero/xpcom/annotate.js 2009-01-25 23:06:39.000000000 +0900
    +++ zotero-trunk/chrome/content/zotero/xpcom/annotate.js 2009-01-25 23:15:56.000000000 +0900
    @@ -212,32 +212,51 @@
    * @return {Array} The node and offset
    */
    function _getTextNode(container, offset, isStart) {
    - var childAttribute = isStart ? "firstChild" : "lastChild";
    - var siblingAttribute = isStart ? "nextSibling" : "lastSibling";
    + var firstTarget = isStart ? "firstChild" : "lastChild";
    + var secondTarget = isStart ? "nextSibling" : "previousSibling";

container = Zotero.Annotate.dereferenceNodeOffset(container, offset);
    if(container.nodeType == TEXT_TYPE) return [container, 0];
    -
    +
    + var seenArray = new Array();
    var node = container;
    while(node) {
    - if(node.nodeType == TEXT_TYPE) {
    + if ( !node ) {
    + // uh-oh
    + break;
    + }
    + if(node.nodeType == TEXT_TYPE ) {
    container = node;
    break;
    + }
    + if( node[firstTarget] && ! _seen(node[firstTarget],seenArray)) {
    + node = node[firstTarget];
    + } else if( node[secondTarget] && ! _seen(node[secondTarget],seenArray)) {
    + node = node[secondTarget];
    } else {
    - if(node[childAttribute]) {
    - node = node[childAttribute];
    - } else if(node[siblingAttribute]) {
    - node = node[siblingAttribute];
    - } else {
    - node = node.parentNode;
    - if(node.isSameNode(container)) {
    - break;
    - }
    - }
    + node = node.parentNode;
    }
    }
    return [container, (!isStart && container.nodeType == TEXT_TYPE ? container.nodeValue.length : 0)];
    }
    +
    + /**
    + * look for a node object in an array. return true if the node
    + * is found in the array. otherwise push the node onto the array
    + * and return false. used by _getTextNode.
    + */
    + function _seen(node,array) {
    + var seen = false;
    + for (n in array) {
    + if (node.isSameNode(array[n])) {
    + seen = true;
    + }
    + }
    + if ( !seen ) {
    + array.push(node);
    + }
    + return seen;
    + }
    }

/**
    @@ -1449,7 +1468,7 @@
    }
    var span = this._highlightTextNode(highlightNode);
    } else {
    - var span = this._highlightSpaceBetween(this.range.startContainer, this.range.startContainer);
    + var span = this._highlightSpaceBetween(this.range.startContainer, this.range.endContainer);
    }

this.range.setStart(span.firstChild, 0);

Frank B
  • Thanks for working on this fbennett! I opened a ticket for your patch. https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/1306

Note to folks getting into annotating and highlighting snapshots: The current annotation/highlighting system will be overhauled in a future version of Zotero. Existing annotations and highlights do not, and will not, sync in Zotero 1.5.
  • Thanks, hope it's useful!
  • This is fixed in 2.0b6.5, now available. Thanks to Frank for the patch.

The warning from Tjowens above still holds, however.