Bug when adding citations in a footnote in OpenOffice

I have observed following problem in OpenOffice v. 2.2 and also v. 3.0:

when I add a single citation in a footnote (either one created by Zotero or by me manually) and then try to type in some text (e.g. " ; " as a separator for the following citation) it always remains part of the citation. So when I click on the Refresh button of the Zotero Plug-In my text disappears.
This problem appears only in the footnotes, not when I add a citation in the page itself.

In MS-Word there is no such problem, so I presume that it has to do with the OpenOffice Plug-In of Zotero 1.5 Sync.

Thank you in advance.
  • I don't know if this is related, but I can't insert citations into footnotes at all with the 1.5 openoffice.org plugin (in OpenOffice 2.4). If I try, I get the error message "Zotero fields cannot be inserted here." If I cut and paste a citation from the main text, the text of the citation copies but I get the error message "You must place the cursor in a Zotero citation to edit it" if I try to edit it.

With the Basic version, I often put citations into footnotes, so this is a new thing for me. (Although cutting and pasting citations never works for me whether in a footnote or not.)
  • orpheus: We're looking into it. (The issue where this happened in the main document text should be fixed in the 1.5 plugins.)

joe: Inserting citations into footnotes when you're using Bookmarks mode is no longer allowed due to a bug in OpenOffice's bookmark and/or .doc file handling that mangles the bookmarks.
  • I see, that makes sense. Thanks for the prompt response. Is there a plan to make the error message say something to that effect so you don't get a million others submitting the same bug?

By the way I just copied and pasted a citation and it worked for some reason. So I guess copying and pasting isn't broken 100% of the time. I have no idea what was different about this last time.
  • Thanks Dan for your response!
    I hope that this bug is going to be corrected any time soon because it is very annoying.

Apart from that Zotero is really a great program and I am going to suggest it to all my students