Help with abbreviations

It is the first time I am trying to include abbreviations in Zotero and I need to abbreviate governmental departments such as Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM) or Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) and other departments from other countries. I have tried to use the "Abbrevs." button whenever I am using the word plugin but I cannot add anything to it neither can I import anything (when I click import, the window does not appear).
I am using 4.0.28.6 and apart from the word plugin, I haven't installed anything else.Could anyone help me with this?
Many thanks in advance.
  • If you see an "Abbrevs." button, you are probably using the Abbreviation Filter plugin, yes?
  • I think I am. I downloaded the plugin for word and I think the "abbrevs." came with it? I tried to use the MLZ before and I went back to zotero.
  • Assuming that is the case, then you can get institutional abbreviations by disabling Zotero and installing Juris-M:

http://juris-m.github.io/downloads

(Zotero proper does not distinguish between personal and institutional names, so this form of abbreviation is not possible; you need to install Juris-M.)

Note, though, that adjustments will be needed in the CSL style also, to produce the short-form names, and to adapt the style to some fussier Juris-M syntax rules.

If the extra work is acceptable to you, that would be the way to go.
  • Also, I should mention that (as it says on the site) Juris-M will not overwrite or alter your Zotero database. You can go back anytime by stopping the Juris-M Standalone and re-enabling Zotero.
  • Thank you very much, fbennett. I am looking at it now and will check if I will be able to manage the adjustments before installing it.
  • (If you try the style editor on the site, I'm not sure whether you will be able to log in - the SSL certificate on the login manager needs updating, and that will take a few days. If you try in Google Chrome and it fails, you may have better luck with Firefox - that has been working for me, which is why I missed the issue.)