Editing notes with occasional inconsistency

Since some days, after the last undate, I have some inconsitency with editing notes in separate window. (My Zotero version is 4.0.28.6)

For instance, when I hit ENTER key and continue to type on the next line, the letters typed go up to last part of previous line. That is, I feel ENTER key doesn't work. This doesn't always happen, but sometimes it does. So I have to try again, and sometimes after using SPACE bar the letters are put in the right position.

Secondly, when I drag some phrase and select the background color for letters using icon, it doesn't work. But when I close the note, re-open it and try again, it work properly.

I use the Korean, two-bite letter system, and until tese days I have never met such a phenomenon.

I guess some system concerning the HTML editing may have an inconsistency.
  • When you say two-byte letter system, do you mean EUC-KR?
  • edited September 30, 2015
    Yes. But I know exactly which system between EUC-KR or UTF-8 I use.

Anyway my OS is Korean Windows 7.

Is there any way I can check my letter system?
  • If off-the-shelf Windows 7, I would assume that it's UTF-8.

Dan: I don't see how this could be caused by unminifying TinyMCE, but that looks like the only potentially relevant change. Is that possible?
  • I don't see how this could be caused by unminifying TinyMCE, but that looks like the only potentially relevant change. Is that possible?
    This might be a long shot, but maybe unminified TinyMCE has a conflicting global variable name that messes things up?
  • I'd be very surprised if this was due to the unminification, but compunk, if you downgrade to Zotero 4.0.28.1, does the problem go away? You can just modify the download URL for your particular installer on the downloads page to get a particular version.
  • edited October 1, 2015
    Thanks for your attention.

As you asked, I tried Zotero in another computer using tow versions: 4.0.28.6 and the previous version, that is, before the last update and after update.

I use standalone Zotero.

I noticed something different between two versions and got two screenshots.

============================================
    #screen shot 1 (before the last update)

You can see a line under the letter which appear during typing and disappear.
    This version works fine and without error. Very Good.

This is the earlier version:

http://acpforkr.cafe24.com/20151001_102158.png
    ================================================

# screenshot 2 (4.0.28.6)

You can't see a line. And in this version there is an inconsistency.

http://acpforkr.cafe24.com/20151001_102411.png
  • What's the earlier version?
  • edited October 1, 2015
    1) earlier version screenshot(4.0.28)
    http://acpforkr.cafe24.com/20151001_102158.jpg

2) the latest version (4.0.28.6)
    http://acpforkr.cafe24.com/20151001_102411.jpg

I added version on the screenshots
  • edited October 1, 2015
    When I downgraded all my Zotero versions 4.0.28.6 to 4.0.28, the errors disappeared.

I think some change in editing notes function might happen since 4.0.28, and it makes errors for Korean letters.

I guess the users who use double-byte characters like Korean, Japanese, etc. may have similar problems.

At first I thought the errors might be due to my computer sysetm or so. But after downgrading Zotero in my 3 computers, I came to the conclusiion that there are some bugs in 4.0.28.6 concerning note function.

I really love Zotero. I hope you find the cause and fix the problem.
    Bye. Have a nice day.
  • Have you found reliable steps to reproduce this? It's going to be hard for us to debug this without being able to reproduce it, which at least from pasting in Korean text I'm not able to do.

And even if you can't reproduce it reliably, a Report ID after triggering it once would be helpful.
  • edited October 3, 2015
    I used 4.0.28.6 version.

I tried to record errors. And at this address you can download .avi file.

http://acpforkr.cafe24.com/record.avi

1) I opened new child note.
    2) I typed some phrases.
    3) At 0:15-0:18, you can see the cursor suddenly goes down and up.

As you said I made a error report : Report ID: 1644830533

If this is not enough, I will try to find out some other ways to let you know the exact phenomena...

Thanks.
  • edited October 3, 2015
    I made 2nd .avi file.

I put my voice to explain...^^

You can see another error: the ENTER key didn't work.

http://acpforkr.cafe24.com/record2.avi

==================================

For your understanding I made 3rd .avi.
    This time, I used 4.0.28 version on which everything is fine.

You can see how the Korean letters were typed with temporal small underline.

http://acpforkr.cafe24.com/record3.avi
  • edited October 3, 2015
    As I saw the version history, between 4.0.28 and 4.0.28.6 there wasn't any changes concerning note-taking part.

But when I typed the Korean on the newest version, I felt something changed in note-taking module in 4.0.28.6. And the errors happen from time to time. So it's difficult for me to catch or explain the exact context. The avi files aboves are results of many trials. So I guess the double-byte letter system like Korean, Jepanese or Chinese Windows may share the same errors.

I think it's best to restore or maintain note-taking module like one of 4.0.28.
    Because 4.0.28 is very stable.

I tried my 3 computers with Korean Windows 7. The result is that there are errors on 4.0.28.6 while no one on 4.0.28.
  • OK, could you 1) install Zotero 4.0.28.7 for Firefox from the download page and make sure you can reproduce the problem there and 2) if so, install this test build into Firefox and see if it fixes the problem? (We can't currently produce dev versions of Standalone, only in Firefox.) The test version reverts the only change we can think of between 4.0.28 and 4.0.28.6 that might (but shouldn't) cause this.
  • edited October 5, 2015
    I tested your zotero-4.0.28.7 and zotero-4.0.28.7-note-reminification.xpi on Firefox 41.0.1 Korean version.
    In fact, I used Standalone version, but for the test I installed Firefox and your Zotero beta versions.

Result is following:

1. zotero-4.0.28.7
    - Nothing improved.

2. zotero-4.0.28.7-note-reminification
    - Better, but some errors remain.
    - The highlighting errors wasn't fixed (4.0.28.6 has this error from the beginning. It also occurs from time to time.)

For improvement I captured what happened on my PC after many traials, and made them into small movies, using zotero-4.0.28.7-note-reminification(.wmv files). :)

Bug report #1
    - Highligting error.
    - As I said, this error happens from time to time.
    - When the error occurs and I close the note and reopen it, the error disappears.
    => http://acpforkr.cafe24.com/4.0.28.7_test_highlighting_error.wmv

Bug report #2
    - Typing errors.
    - Usually errors happened when I typed some lines and deleted the last line and retyped something using SpaceBar or Enter keys.
    - I guess the errors have some relations with treating HTML code. So I tried to capture the HTML coding windows.
    => http://acpforkr.cafe24.com/4.0.28.7_test_typing_error.wmv

I hope this report would help you find out the cause and fix errors.

Thanks in advance.
  • There's not really any chance it was better — the thing I reverted was either the source of the problem (which it shouldn't have been) or something else is that we haven't yet figured out.

Can you install Zotero 4.0.28 for Firefox and see if the problem occurs with that? (Ignore any other issues — 4.0.28 wasn't fully compatible with Firefox 41.) I just realized that, since you've only been testing with Standalone, there's a good chance that this actually wasn't a change in Zotero code at all and is just the version change in the underlying Mozilla framework (basically, the corresponding Firefox version) in Standalone between 4.0.28 and 4.0.28.6.
  • And assuming the problem does occur with Zotero 4.0.28 in Firefox 41, I'd guess that reinstalling Firefox 40 would cause it to go away.
  • edited October 6, 2015
    As I understand your guessing above, the errors are in relation to FireFox version, not to Ztoro version.

I tried two experiments:

Trial #1 : FireFox4.1+Zotero 4.0.28 => Errors !
    http://acpforkr.cafe24.com/firefox4.1_zoterotest4.0.28_error.wmv

Trial #2 : FireFox4.0+Zotero 4.0.28 => No errors.
    http://acpforkr.cafe24.com/firefox4.0_zoterotest4.0.28_good.wmv

Do we need other tests ? Tell me any time.
    I'm enjoying testing now. :)

Thanks for your kindness.
  • Ah, OK, and indeed, the first listed change in Firefox 41 was "Enhance IME support on Windows (Vista +) using TSF (Text Services Framework)". (I can actually reproduce this in Windows 7, but close enough.) After enabling the Windows IME (which I should have figured out how to do sooner — sorry) I see different IME handling, with a highlighted background instead of the underline, in Firefox 41, and I get the behavior you've described.

This actually isn't specific to Zotero. I can reproduce it with even the latest dev version of TinyMCE, the note editor we use.

The good news is that it looks like this was a bug in Firefox that's been fixed in the nightly builds. The bad news is that it's still happening in the latest Firefox beta, which will become Firefox 42. Tomorrow I'll try to find the relevant fix so that we can see 1) whether there's any chance of its making it into Firefox 42 and 2) if there's anything we can do to work around the bug in the meantime.

Thanks for your help debugging this.
  • edited October 5, 2015
    Oh, and you shouldn't run Firefox 40, but as a temporary workaround, you could install the Firefox Extended Support Release, currently at 38.3.0. Zotero for Firefox should be sharing your existing Zotero data directory, so when you want to edit a note, you can just close Zotero Standalone and edit the note in Zotero for Firefox, and then switch back to Standalone after.
  • Thanks again for your kind explanation.
    I understood the situation: the bugs are due to FireFox, not to Zetero ; there will be debugging ; in the next version of FireFox/Zetero, there will be no errors. That's good news.

For my research, I use ZSA 4.0.28 which I can use without errors.

In my part, I want to do anything to help debug Zotero.
    If you need some testing concerning the present errors on Korean windows, tell me any time.

Bye. Have a nice day.
  • Dan, compunk,

Many, many thanks for the care that went into this thread. It's great to see an issue affecting Asian language support dealt with so quickly.
  • OK, good news: the fix was actually added to the Firefox beta branch earlier today, so it will be available in the next beta of Firefox 42, which should be out soon. Firefox 42 will be released on November 3rd, but we may be able to put out a new Standalone version that fixes this before then. I'll post again with updates.

(Also, this is limited to Korean text.)
  • edited October 6, 2015
    Wow. That's a good news. Thanks again.
  • Hi, Stillman. You said on Oct 5th that there would be soon updates concerning editing function error. But there is still no updates. Will it take more time?
  • A new Standalone version with this fix isn't yet available, but as a workaround you can use Zotero for Firefox with Firefox 42 or later, which will share your existing data directory by default.
  • Just to respond to your post in another thread, Standalone is still being built from a Firefox version that may include this bug, so I'm afraid for the time being you'll need to use Zotero for Firefox. I'll check if we can use a more recent version for the next release.
  • OK. Thanks for your response.