Google Books ignores Editors

Edited volumes from Google books never ever are saved to Zotero with correct identification of editors. They are always listed as authors. Could it be fixed?
  • may not be possible (google books isn't exactly known for good metadata) but if you have a couple of sample URLs we can take a look.
  • Thanks for a quick response!

https://books.google.com/books?id=6hFNrgEACAAJ

https://books.google.com/books?id=5JWIBwAAQBAJ

In Bibliographic information of both it says Editor(s)
  • yeah, as I feared, while you're right that google seems to be aware of this internally, it's neither in the xml data we use for import:
    books.google.com/books/feeds/volumes/5JWIBwAAQBAJ
    (note the simple dc.creator), nor in the bibliographic output formats (BibTeX, Endnote, RefMan) at the bottom of the page. I don't think there's much we can do without making import from google book a lot more fragile. Sorry.
  • I don't think it would make import more fragile, but this would be a good amount of effort to supplement our data with what's on the page. Probably more complicated by various localizations too. I think it's worth considering.
  • Would it be possible to just scrape the ISBN from the page or XML and pass that to the WorldCat translator? That is what I manually do every time due to the poor quality of the Google Books metadata.
  • possible yes. Not sure how risky, though, in terms of getting data for a different edition. Also, I'm a bit uneasy doing the ISBN thing--can't quite put my finger on it, but it seems wrong (conceptually, not morally) to use data from a different source. But I may be completely off with that.
  • I agree. This would be a hack and a quite difficult one to keep consistent across translators. We should only scrape metadata available on the current site and let the Zotero client fill in missing/incorrect pieces. That functionality will be coming soon (I'm adding it for Feed Reader)
  • Sounds reasonable to me.