Web of Science massive download issue Report ID 1982356556

Web of Science when I click on the single article download icon on the following page, the system downloads (literally, exactly) 500 items instead of the one article metadata that I wanted. I can select the DOI translator but that misses some information such as the abstract.

http://apps.webofknowledge.com.libproxy.sdsu.edu/full_record.do?product=WOS&search_mode=GeneralSearch&qid=1&SID=4EXlk7AvBK1dVXXvW7t&excludeEventConfig=ExcludeIfFromFullRecPage&page=6&doc=54

Even more strange, the article itself isn't among the downloaded items.

I can't figure out where the 500 items are coming from. This article has but 90 cited references.

I don't know if the supplied report id helps with this problem. If not I'll be glad to help work this out with you experts.

When I move to another item from the product of my search, the same thing happens but with a (slightly different set of 500 items -- but most of the items are duplicates of the previous list).
  • (aurimas or zuphilip will need to check that out)
  • Here is the debug ID: D2020187290
  • Okay, I tried the example and it worked fine for me (Zotero 4.0.28.6 as Firefox Addon, Win 8.1) and returned just one entry. What browser, OS are you using? There is a comment in the translator code, which might be connected to what you see here:
    // Due to a long-standing bug in connectors, when no items are selected,
    // an empty object is returned instead of false, so we actually do get to
    // this point. Furthermore, WoS appears to export all results if no IDs
    // are supplied. So this is a hack to avoid this very special case.
    @aurimasv: Do you have more ideas? Or can you reproduce the error?
  • My apologies. This is no longer happening today. WoS is behaving normally.

Yesterday, the problem occurred on campus using a Win-10 machine with FF 39 and (I think) Zotero 4.0.28.3, moments later off campus from a Mac with Z-FF 4.0.28.4; and later on a different Mac using FF 40 and Z-FF 4.0.28.5.

If this happens again I will provide a screen video of this behavior from the point of a computer restart, opening FF and Z-FF, showing my Zotero settings, opening WoS, and attempting to download a single record.
  • I imagine this has something to do with it:
    POST […]&action=saveDataToRef&product=UA&numRecords=1&numRecsToRetrieve=500&qid=1 to http://ets.webofknowledge.com.libproxy.sdsu.edu/ETS/saveDataToRef.do
  • thanks Dan. @DWL -- no need for a video, your description is perfectly clear. Do post here, though, if this happens again, there may be more debugging we need.
  • FWIW, the 500 is hardcoded, zuphilip will likely know why, though it may make sense to reduce this?
    The actual problem would seem to be the (lack of) proper qid that makes this request generic rather than specific.
  • No, I don't know much about the WoS translator. I am just reponsible for the splitting of WoS translator and the corresponding import translator.